Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Downtown Kitchener Heritage Walking Tour
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
120 Duke Street West.jpg St. Jerome's College (Former) Built in 1907 in the Neo-Classical style, St. Jerome's is recognized as being the foundation of Catholic education in Waterloo Region. Notable features include the triangular pediment at the roofline supported by coupled columns, interesting brickwork, and stone voussoir details over the entrances. The building has recently been restored and serves as the home of the Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work (Wilfrid Laurier University).   Click here to show map location
410 King Street West.JPG Kaufman Footwear Factory (Former) Built by Jacob Kaufman in 1907 and expanded in 1911, 1920 and 1925, Kaufman Footwear became one of the largest industries and employers in Berlin. It is an excellent example of early industrial modernism architecture and was designed by Albert Kahn, one of the great industrial architects of the 20th century. The former factory has been converted into a loft style condominium complex.   Click here to show map location
Lang Tannery.jpg Lang Tannery (Former) Founded by Reinhold Lang in 1848, the Lang Tannery contributed to establishing leather tanning as Berlin's first major industry. The complex features several buildings constructed from c. 1896 to 1956 and is representative of industrial vernacular architecture. Of particular interest is the former administration and production building located at the corner of Charles and Francis Streets, and the now rare 180-foot (55 metre) high smoke stack off of Joseph St. Work is commencing on redeveloping the site into a mixed use heritage precinct featuring retail, office, and light industrial uses.   Click here to show map location
Public Utilities Commission Building.jpg Public Utilities Commission Building Built during the years 1931-1932, this building served as the location of Kitchener's Public Utilities Commission. It is constructed of cut granite and sandstone, much like the old (1924) Kitchener City Hall, and has impressive carved brackets and arched entranceways, metal and stone work, and brass front doors.   Click here to show map location
Simpson Block.jpg Simpson Block Built in 1895 by William Simpson, who established one of the earliest furniture businesses in the Country. The Simpson block features a typical 19th Century storefront, with a distinct feature of excellent brick work throughout.   Click here to show map location
Knell Hardware.jpg Knell Hardware (Peter Martin's) Built in 1893, and purchased in 1910 by William Knell, this building served as Knell Hardware for 79 years. The architectural style is Renaissance Revival, with intricate ornamentation throughout the facade at each storey.   Click here to show map location
Weber Block.jpg Weber Block Built circa 1910 by I. S. K. Weber it served as the Wanless Music Store and later as Kabels, a formal wear store. The architectural style of the building is Classical Revival. Large free standing Ionic Columns and the wooden and concrete detailing make this elevation one of the grandest in the Downtown.   Click here to show map location
Walper Hotel.jpg Walper Terrace Hotel An Inn of some sort has always been situated at this site since 1820, considered to be the historic 'Royal' crossroads of the City at the corner of King and Queen streets. C.H. Walper took over the former Commercial Hotel in 1886 which was later destroyed by fire in 1892. The Walper Terrace Hotel was built the following year at a cost of $76,000 as a high class hotel. It is undoubtedly the best example of hotel architecture in Kitchener, with its detailed cornice and brick work over arched windows.   Click here to show map location
Germania Block.jpg Germania Block (CIBC) Built in 1885, this building has functioned as a bank since 1893. It is an excellent example of 19th Century Italianate Commercial architecture. Notable features include the elaborately bracketed cornices, and exterior brickwork. The bank was restored in the 1980s and is Kitchener's only example of a building continuously used as a bank since the 19th Century.   Click here to show map location
MacKenzie King Manor.jpg MacKenzie King Manor Built in 1928 as a Pentecostal Church and designed by W.H.E. Schmalz, who also designed the 1924 City Hall; this building stands on the site of the birthplace of former Prime Minister William Lyon MacKenzie King. The building features the solid construction Kitchener is famous for, with special attention given to architectural detailing on the Benton Street Facade.   Click here to show map location
TD Bank (Former).jpg Toronto Dominion Bank (Former) Built in 1959, and designed by Bruce Etherington, this building has been identified as one of the best examples of modern movement architecture in Waterloo Region. It expresses both solidity through its use of limestone and marble; and motion through the unique inflection of the facades and roofline, and tapering metal fins along the windows.   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group Public Entries
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added May 10, 2016
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.