Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Mary-Allen Neighbourhood Tour
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
02-8William_now.jpg William & King Streets (at Marbles restaurant) The building that is now home to Marbles restaurant was originally built as a livery stable for the Alexander House, a hotel that once stood on the corner. The hotel was built in the mid 1870s by David Kuntz, the owner of the Kuntz brewery, which was on the diagonally opposite corner of King and William Streets. The hotel was torn down in the 1930s but the livery stable continued to be used as an automobile service station. Notice the wide entranceway to allow for a horse and buggy. Today it's one of many excellent restaurants in Waterloo.   Click here to show map location
03-HeritagePark_now.jpg Heritage Park This small park area, known as Heritage Park, along with the portion on the other side of King Street, was originally a public square in 1855 and the first market area for Waterloo.   Click here to show map location
04-156KingS_now_167.jpg 156 & 167 King Street South Just behind Heritage Park, away from King St. at 156 King Street South, is the yellow-bricked Kuntz-Eckert house and on the west side of King St., at 167 King Street South, is the Kuntz-Labatt house. These homes are the only reminders of the brewery that once stood on the southwest corner of King and William Streets. David Kuntz started a brewery in 1844. It was originally called the Spring Brewery because of the natural spring water in the area. In 1910 it had grown to become Ontario's second largest brewery; however in 1929 it was sold and joined the Carling Breweries family. In 1977 Labatt's took over the business but in 1993 the operation was closed and the brewery was torn down. The house at 156 King Street South is a good example of a merchant's home built around 1880 and across the street there were three impressive homes built by Kuntz for family members. 167 King Street South is the only one of the three that remains. Colonel Hugh J. Heasley, manager of Carling's, lived in the house until 1978. The house is now owned by the Erb & Good Funeral Home and contains meeting rooms, visitation rooms and an art gallery. Labatt's had the home designated as a historical site in 1978. Street View only   Click here to show map location
05-172KingS_now.jpg 172 King Street South, Erb-Kumpf House 172 King Street South is known as the Erb-Kumpf House. Abraham Erb built the original portion of the house in 1812. He came to Waterloo from Pennsylvania with a group of Mennonites and established a sawmill and a gristmill. The house is a mixture of styles and is presently a lawyer's office. Notice the two-storey verandah, the latticework, the bargeboard and the wings on either side of the entrance. Walk down the path to George Street and view the side of the house. The east section of the centre part was the original house and the front door faced the town. The house was designated as a historic property in 1979. Street View only   Click here to show map location
06-12George_now.jpg 12 George Street 12 George Street is a house that was built in 1907 in the Victorian Style. The two-storey verandah, tower and stained glass windows add charm to the house. Street View only   Click here to show map location
07-28George_now.jpg 28 George Street 28 George Street was actually built as servants quarters around 1860 for John Hoffman who lived on the corner at that time. However, there was no corner as George Street had not been built yet. The area bounded by King, George, Willow and John Streets was an orchard owned by Mr. Hoffman. The house was built in the gothic style with an arched door in the gable rather than the usual window. Street View only   Click here to show map location
08-39George_now.jpg 39 George Street The house at 39 George Street was built between 1903 and 1906 for Alfred Snyder whose father Simon Snyder lived next door at 43 George St. Alfred and his brother Herbert organized the firm of Snyder's Limited Upholstering in 1903. They manufactured living room suites and developed the first sofa that was completely safe from moths. This house is very interesting as it is almost the exact mirror image of his brother's house at 50 Albert St. Both are unique for their poured concrete design, both cost $7000 and had the same mason and carpenter. Note the Palladian and bay windows and wraparound porch. Street View only   Click here to show map location
09-43George_now_2.jpg 43 George Street Next door, on the southwest corner of George and Herbert Streets is 43 George Street. This house was built around 1875 for Simon Snyder, who was Mayor of Waterloo, a druggist and later ran a furniture company. He was also a founding director of the Dominion Life Assurance Company. The house has had different additions over the years and still maintains its servant buzzer under the dining room carpet. Note the front porch and stucco exterior. The house was originally yellow brick. Street View only   Click here to show map location
10-49George_now.jpg 49 George Street On the southeast corner of George and Herbert Streets is 49 George Street. This house was originally built in 1886 for Julius Germann, who owned and operated a harness and saddle shop. Germann decided to change careers and purchased the Market Hotel in 1889 for $8,500, moved his family into the hotel and sold this house to Levi Stauffer in 1901. Stauffer grew up on the family farm near the present day corner of Erb St. W. and Fischer-Hallman Rd. He founded the North Waterloo Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company and was the first president. He was also very influential in the early United Brethren Church. Of special note are the shutters, the brackets under the eaves and the keystone in the arch above the windows in this Italianate house. Street View only   Click here to show map location
  59 George Street 59 George Street is a house that was built in 1886 for Paul Pequegnat, a jeweller and clock maker. The house became known as "Chestnut Hill" because of the chestnut trees that were planted on the property. William Greene came north from the United States and bought the home in 1903 for $2,200. He started the W. A Greene Collar Factory at the corner of Willow and William Streets. A depression in the market led to the closure of his factory in 1913 and Greene returned to New Jersey. The house is Italianate with Queen Anne influences. Street View only   Click here to show map location
12-65George_now.jpg 65 George Street Next door, but set back a little further from the street, is 65 George Street. This home was built around 1909 and at one time it had a wraparound porch. It is stucco over red brick with three bricks thickness. Notice the sidelights around the front door. This was the residence of William Reade, a barrister and later a judge in Waterloo. His son John Collingwood Reade was a well-known broadcast commentator. The Kirby family has lived here for many years but they had to replace much of the interior when they moved in as the house had been empty for some time. This was also one of the last houses within the city boundaries to still have ponies and they built a barn onto the back of their garage.   Click here to show map location
13-73George_now.jpg 73 George Street, Bean-Wright-Hillcrest House Next door again is 73 George Street, the Bean-Wright-Hillcrest House. Theodore Bellinger was a merchant and a town councillor and had this house built in 1882. Bellinger's widow sold the house to David Bean in 1900. Bean was the owner of the Waterloo Chronicle, a town councillor and Mayor of Waterloo. This house was later owned by Dr. Doug Wright who was president of the University of Waterloo from July 1981 to April 1993. It is currently the Hillcrest House Bed and Breakfast, so named from old Christmas cards that were found to mention the house by this name. The porch was recently rebuilt and notice the keystones with a rare grape motif, the brackets and wood trim under the eaves, the rounded windows in the attic level and the double front door. The house was designated as a historic property in 1982. Street View only   Click here to show map location
14-67Allen_now.jpg St. Louis School St. Louis School was built in 1905 as a four-room schoolhouse and eventually closed its doors in 1983. The School Sisters of Notre Dame residence was built in 1895. The Sisters started teaching in the basement of the church until the school was built. St. Louis Roman Catholic Church is the oldest of the buildings here and was built in 1890. Notice the steeple and brickwork. The rectory was built in 1928 in what is known as the Period Revival Style as it has medieval influences. Be sure to look for the loopholes in the gables of the rectory. Loopholes are found in medieval architecture as a place for launching arrows. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pass safely today. Street View only   Click here to show map location
15-47Allen_now.jpg 47 Allen Street 47 Allen Street is a house that was built in 1886 for Clayton Wells, a dentist and very outgoing citizen in Waterloo. He and his father, who was also a dentist, had their practice on King St. In the early 1900s the house was used as a rectory for St. Louis Roman Catholic Church. Notice the restored wooden porch trim and the turned spindles. Street View only   Click here to show map location
16-41Allen_then.jpg 41 Allen Street The next red brick building on the left is 41 Allen Street. This was the residence of Menno S. Hallman and was built around 1902. Hallman was a teacher and worked for the Waterloo Chronicle. Later he joined the J.B. Snider Furniture Company which eventually became Snyder Brothers Furniture. He became an accountant, then office manager for the company and eventually an actuary for Mutual Life. The house is in the Edwardian style but the main front window and front gable, show Queen Anne influences. Street View only   Click here to show map location
17-33Allen_now.jpg 33 Allen Street Two doors further along, at 33 Allen Street, is the Church of the Holy Saviour. This church was built in 1897, but unlike St. Louis Roman Catholic Church, this was a church where services were held in English rather than German. The parish hall was erected in 1912 in memory of Mrs. Stephanie Seagram and in 1928 the family also erected the square tower, donated an organ and redecorated the church interior. The church contains carvings by local craftsmen from the Globe Furniture Company which was located in the area of what is now Father David Bauer Dr. and Erb St. W. Globe Furniture specialized in church and school furniture along with artistic woodcarvings. Street View only   Click here to show map location
18-222Mary_now.jpg 222 Mary Street, Richber House 222 Mary Street is known as the Richber house, an attractive board and batten house built in 1859 for Peter Schavio. Peter was a labourer who had purchased the lot from John Hoffman. Small arches neatly connect the battens. This home was designated as a historic property in 1986. The board and batten style is very rare in Waterloo and this is one of the few remaining houses constructed in that style.   Click here to show map location
19-31Union_now.jpg 31 Union Street 31 Union Street, known as the Seagram-Bauer house, was built for Thomas Seagram in 1913, the same year that he was married. Seagram was the son of distilling magnate Joseph Seagram and Thomas, along with his brothers, played a prominent role in the expansion of the company. In 1967 Raymond Bauer and his family bought the house. He was the grandson of Aloyes Bauer who founded Bauer Industries and the brother of Bobby and Father David Bauer of hockey fame. He went on to become president of Bauer Industries a few years later. The plant found long term prosperity as a major automotive parts supplier. Only two different families have lived in this house - a rare feat given that it was built in 1913. The house is best described as being in the style of an English Manor House. Street View only   Click here to show map location
  251 Mary Street 251 Mary Street is a somewhat unusual looking house because we're actually viewing the back of it. The Colquhoun family built the house in the 1870s and the builders never expected that Mary St. would be built where it is. The house faced King Street and at one time had a lot of property with an orchard on one side and the barn on the other. Street View only   Click here to show map location
21-227KingS_now.jpg 227 King Street South 227 King Street South was the head office of the Mutual Life Assurance Co. that was built here in 1912. Before that, the company was located in what is now the police building at Erb and Albert Streets. Mutual Life spared no expense with terra cotta imported from England and grand carvings. Notice the columns, stone carvings and wrought iron fence. In 1999, Mutual Life changed its name to Clarica Life Insurance Company and in 2002 became part of Sun Life Financial. This extraordinary building was designated as a historic property in 1979 and in 1987 the office tower was built. Street View only   Click here to show map location
22-217KingS_then.jpg 217 King Street South Looking back across the street, in the northeast corner of the Mutual Life property, is the house at 217 King Street South. This house was built for George Wegenast in 1911 by an employee of the architects who designed the Mutual Life head office. George started at Mutual as a clerk/cashier and eventually worked his way up to the position of General Manager and then Managing Director in 1907. He supervised the move to this site and remarked that they would never fill the whole building. There have been a few small changes to the house over the years and it's now owned by Sun Life and is apartments. Notice especially the decorative gables in this Queen Anne style house. Street View only   Click here to show map location
23-205KingS_now_203.jpg 205 & 203 King Street South One door north of John Street, the buildings at 205 and 203 King Street South were originally built as houses in 1849 and were attached in 1973. 203 King is a 1 1/2 storey Georgian style home and was once owned by Mr. Kuntz who started the brewery nearby. 205 is a frame structure, built along the lines of a barn and at one time had a centre door with a window in each side. It used to be owned by the Bauers. Street View only   Click here to show map location
24-188KingS_now.jpg 188 King Street South 188 King Street South was a house that was built in the Georgian revival style in the early 1930s. Don't miss the distinctive quarter circle windows at the attic level on both ends. Originally the property was owned by the Bauers and Dr. Harry McNally a physician and surgeon purchased the property, built the house and had his practice in the far right extension. The building was demolished in 2013. Street View only   Click here to show map location
25-187KingS_now.jpg 187 King Street South, Bauer Industries On the west side of King St. is 187 King Street South, the former Bauer Industries factory. Aloyes Bauer started out in 1888 to operate a carriage business and then moved on to a cotton upholstering plant, which eventually led to, among other things, acoustical thermal products for the automotive industry. The current use of the building is for industrial-style lofts, street front stores, and markets. Street View only   Click here to show map location
26-186KingS_now.jpg 186 King Street South & 189 Mary Street On the southeast corner of King and Allen Streets are 186 King Street South and 189 Mary Street, currently the Kitchener-Waterloo Branch of the Canadian Red Cross. Magdalena Bauer, wife of Aloyes, bought land at a public auction in 1894 for $1,625. Within a year two houses were built on the property, the one just around on Mary Street and this one, which is similar in appearance. Their son Edgar however, would be the first Bauer to live in either one. Edgar and his family lived at 189 Mary Street first and then moved here. In the 1960s it was home to the YWCA. The house is in the Queen Anne style and the back verandah has been filled in. 186 King Street was demolished in 2013. Street View only   Click here to show map location
27-181KingS_now.jpg 181 King Street South, Brick Brewery 181 King Street South is the home of the Brick Brewery. "I started the brewery back in 1984 simply because I love beer," said Jim Brickman, founder of the Brick Brewing Co. Limited. After five years of feasibility studies, research and finding capital, Jim was able to obtain a brewer's license and purchased this three-story building. The century old former furniture factory has now been converted into a traditional European Brew house. You can go inside to see the collection of beer bottles from around the world.   Click here to show map location
28-179KingS_now.jpg 179 King Street South Next door, at 179 King Street South in what is now the Brick Brewery Office, is a house that was built around 1859 for Isaac Weaver. There have been many changes and renovations over the years, but the house still maintains a pleasing, balanced appearance with an attractive arched doorway and a rare stone chimney. Notice also the small paned "six over six" windows and the dormers on the roof. The building was demolished in 2013. Take a closer look at the Kuntz-Labatt house at 167 King Street South, just to the right of the Erb & Good Funeral Home, that we saw earlier. The home achieves a balanced design through the careful placement of windows, doors and Italianate features such as the paired brackets and round-headed windows in the gable. The verandahs, each supported by slender columns, are typical of late nineteenth century architecture. Street View only   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group COMAP
Added By kyoung
Date Added March 9, 2012
Last Modified By Jessica Battrick
Date Last Modified November 14, 2013
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   kyoung The user submitted this content.