Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
FranÁais

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Woodland Cemetery Walking Tour
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
IMG_0304.JPG Annie Pixley's Mausoleum This impressive mausoleum was designed by the architectural firm of Moore and Henry. Mr. Robert Fulford, the well-known theatrical manager, had the monument erected to commemorate the death of his wife, Annie Pixley, an actress and a singer. Miss Pixley made several appearances at the Grand Opera House in London, Ontario. She died in London, England in 1893 at the age of 38. The mausoleum with its poignant sculptures was completed in 1897 at the cost of more than $20,000. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking   Click here to show map location
IMG_0307.JPG Railway Monument The nine railwaymen listed on the monument lost their lives as a result of accidents on the Great Western Railway between 1857 and 1873. A carving, by the firm Peel and Powell of a vintage wood-burning locomotive, highlights the top of this monument. John R. Peel, the famous London artist. Originally located in St. Paulís Cemetery at Dundas and Rectory Streets, this unique monument was moved to Woodland Cemetery when the former St. Paulís Cemetery was closed. Self Guided Tours  
  Hillside Vaults The three hillside vaults, built in the early 1880ís, are a unique feature to Woodland Cemetery. They are the memorials to 3 prominent merchants: C.P. Smith, Charles T. Priddis , Goerge S. Birrell, and their families.  
IMG_0308.JPG Harriet Priddis 1847-1922 Harriet Priddis, the daughter of the merchant Charles T. Priddis, served on the London and Middlesex Historical Society from its inception in 1901 until her death in 1922. In 1909, the Society published a paper she wrote entitled The Naming of London Streets. The paper was republished in 1967, and even to-day, it continues to be consulted by students of local history.  
  George A. Wenige 1847-1952 A native of Detroit, George Wenige moved to London in 1899. For many years he operated one of the cityís best known bicycle stores. He was a candidate for mayor of London 20 times, and served as mayor a record of 9 times between 1923 and 1950. The London Free Press cartoonist, Ting, dubbed him ďHis Worship George the NinthĒ during his last two terms of office.  
IMG_0309.JPG John K. Labbat 1803-1866 John Labatt was born in Ireland and immigrated to Canada as a young man. In 1847, in partnership with Samuel Eccles, he purchased John Balkwilllís brewery which had been in operation since 1828. He bought Eccles out in 1854. Labatt conducted the business until his death in 1866, when he was succeeded his third son, John Labatt II and in turn by his grandsons, John Labatt III and Hugh Labatt. Labatt Breweries of Canada, one of Londonís oldest businesses still operates at its original site.  
  John Harris 1783-1850 John Harris was the treasurer of the London District. In 1834, Harris and his family moved into their new home, Eldon House. Frequently during the 19th century it was the centre of London society. The house was occupied by the Harris family for 4 generations. In 1960, the family donated Londonís oldest surviving residence and its contents to the city to be used as a museum.  
  Amelia Harris 1798-1882 The first hostess of Eldon House and wife of the John Harris, Amelia began a diary in 1857 in which she continued to write until shortly before she died. It provides a unique record of Victorian London society. In 1994, portions of the diary were published in the book entitled The Eldon House Diaries edited by Robin S. Harris and Terry G. Harris.  
  Harriet A. Boomer In 1878, Harriet Mills married the Reverend Michael Boomer, the Dean of the Diocese of Huron and Principal of Huron College. He died 10 years later. Mrs. Boomer actively supported may charitable organizations such as the Red Cross and the Victorian Order of Nurses. She was active in a wide variety of womenís groups, including the National Council of Women, and was president of the London Council of Women from 1897 to 1920  
  John Hayman 1846-1937 John Hayman was Englishman who settled in London in 1868. Four years later, he started his own contracting business which to-day still retains his name. The firm built Londonís first apartment buildings, the Victoria and Alexandra Apartments, in 1908 and 1909 respectively, on the south-east corner of Queens Avenue and Wellington Street. The Spacious core area apartments are still as handsome to-day as when they were first built.  
  Henry Hayman 1851-1881 Henry Hayman was a brother of John Hayman. A white marble monument with a unique carving of the steam boat Victoria Boat, is in memory of Henry Hayman, his wife Mary Jane and their 2 Ĺ year old son, William Henry. The family drowned as a result of the sinking of the Victoria on the Thames River, May 24 1881. At least 182 people, mostly Londoners, lost their lives in of Canadaís worst boat disasters. Over 50 of the victims are buried at Woodland.  
  Benjamin Cronyn 1802-1871 The Reverend Benjamin Cronyn arrived in London in 1832. He was the first Rector of St. Paulís Anglican Church and was elected the first Bishop of Huron in 1857. An energetic Irishman, he was instrumental in building the first St. Paulís Church in 1834 and again in 1844 after it had been destroyed by fire. The Gothic Revival Church forms the nucleus of the present ST. Paulís Cathedral.  
  George J. Goodhue George Goodhue was a pioneer merchant, landowner and politician. He is often described as Londonís first ďmillionaire,Ē making most of his money in land speculation and mortgages. A son, Charles, built Waverely mansion on Grant Avenue with money that he had inherited from his father. The finely crafted house which was built in 1883 has now been converted into a retirement home.  
  Charles C. Gibbons 1848-1918 George C. Gibbons was a noted lawyer, and prominent Liberal. He was knighted in 1911 in recognition of his services with the International Waterways Commission. The Gibbons family mansion, Lornehurst, was located on the site of the present London Life Insurance Company. In 1927, the Gibbons daughters purchased 64 acres of land for a park. The sisters, Lorna Harris, Helen Gibbons and Marjorie Counsell, donated Gibbons Park to the city of London in memory of their parents Sir George Gibbons and lady Gibbons and their brothers George Sutton Gibbons and Allan Gibbons.  
  Charles S. Hyman 1854-1926 Charles Hyman was born in London, Ontario and took over the Hyman Tannery after the death of his father in 1878. He served London as alderman and mayor. In 1900, Hyman was elected as a Liberal member to the House of Commons for London. He served as Sir Wilfred Laurierís Minister of Public Works until 1907. He was also one of Londonís best known sportsmen, excelling in tennis and cricket. His former mansion on Grand Avenue is known to-day as the Idewyld Inn.  
  John Wilson 1809-1869 John Wilson was a capable and successful lawyer and Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. The size of his funeral procession in 1869 demonstrated his immense popularity. According to the London Free Press, ďwhile the funeral train passed through the city, every place of business was closed; the sidewalks were thronged on each side of the street and form every window and balcony hundreds looked on.Ē However, no mention was made in the newspaper of his role in the last fatal duel in Canada. Wilson shot and killed a fellow law student in Perth, Ontario, in 1833. In the subsequent trial Wilson defended himself and won acquittal.  
  John C. Meredith 1809-1881 John Meredith was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. He settled in London in 1834, where he became the patriarch of one of Londonís outstanding families. The 1880-1881 London City Directory lists Mr. Meredith as Clerk of Division Court, Justice of the Peace and Agent for the Phoenix Fire Insurance Company of London, England. Mr. Meredith died in the Victoria Day boat disaster of May 24th, 1881. He was the oldest victim to die in the tragedy. A tall Celtic Cross marks the Meredith plot.  
  Josiah Blackburn 1823-1890 In 1853, Josiah Blackburn gained control of a small London weekly, the Canadian Free Press. This was the beginning of the Blackburn media dynasty in London. In 1855, he launched The London Free Press which remained in the family until 1997. The Free Press continues to be an important newspaper in Southwestern Ontario today.  
  Oliver McClary 1816-1902 Oliver McClary and his brother John were the founders of the McClary Manufacturing Company which grew to become Londonís largest factory. The Oliver McClary family has the distinction of having the highest monument in the cemetery. The tall grey granite obelisk rises 9.6 metres above the ground.  

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group London Heritage Council
Added By Heritage Council
Date Added October 2, 2013
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   Heritage Council The user submitted this content.