Histoires de Batiment
Nom d'utilisateur
Mot de passe
English

Oublié votre mot de passe? | Enregistrez-vous maintenant
Titre Stony Plain Historic Murals
Points d'intérêt
Points d'intérêt
Titre
Sort ascending by TitreSort descending by Titre
Description
Caractéristiques
Year of the coop.jpg 2012 INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE COOPERATIVES MURAL – “2012 INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE COOPERATIVES” Artist: James Mackay, Carvel, Alberta (Size: 480 sq. ft.) This mural is a tribute to the significant role Co-operatives have had in fostering economic growth and social responsibility. Co-operatives share internationally agreed principles and act together to build a better world through co-operation.   Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
Along the Fifth.jpg Along the Fifth MURAL – “ALONG THE FIFTH” Artist: Wei Luan, Edmonton, Alberta (Size: 1100 sq. ft.) Stony Plain developed into a bustling community along the Fifth Meridian, at the turn of the twentieth century. Some notable people and events reflecting the community’s rich heritage and development are depicted in this mural. Left to right: The coming of the railway impacted Stony Plain in many ways. It prompted a relocation of the original townsite, improved communication, increased trade and nurtured entrepreneurship. In 1907, Sheriff Israel Umbach set a precedent by forcing the railroad to pay outstanding taxes to the town of Stony Plain. George Webber, Bill and Harry Hartum provide the meat while the Raymond Meads family supplies the produce in this depiction of business dealings in Stony Plain. Jacob Fuhr, who owned the land east of the Fifth Meridian, is portrayed with his horses, along with images of the original Demonstration Farm, all reminders of Stony Palin’s agricultural roots. The Old Brick School, first regional high school and later, the Multicultural Heritage Centre represents the educational focus and multicultural heritage of the region. Examples of fun times, arts, sports and recreation important to this community are expressed through the dancers, a leisurely soccer game and Russ Newell, the blind fiddler. Joy Kincart sits beside the famed Cornelia Railey Wood, who gets a touch-up by mural artist Wei Luan. Mood Washburn plays the pipes while P.S. Washburn looks on. Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
BridgingtheGap.jpg Bridging the Gap for Peace MURAL – “BRIDGING THE GAP FOR PEACE” Artist: Keith Holmes, Galiano Island, British Columbia (Size: 320 sq. ft.) Featuring personalities who have fought for peace from past to present, including the Yost brothers and peacekeeper Bruce Lloy from the recent past. From the Great War to present day, and from Vimy Ridge to Kandahar, the Royal Canadian Legion honours the men and women who serve – and have served – our country. Soldiers, sailors, airmen, constabulary and peacekeepers – we remember these people as heroes for helping to bridge the gap for peace. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
CelebrateRotary.jpg Celebrate Rotary MURAL – “CELEBRATE ROTARY” Artist: Karen Blanchet, Legal, Alberta (Size: 204 sq. ft.) 2005 marked the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International. Founded by Paul Harris in Chicago in 1905, Rotary promites community service projects and ethical standards in business. Today, there are over 1.2 million men and women who are members of more than 31,000 Rotary clubs in 166 countries, united under the banner of Service Above Self. The local Rotary Club has been committed to programs and improvements within Stony Plain and on an international level. Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
CompanionsontheJourney.jpg Companions on the Journey MURAL – “COMPANIONS ON THE JOURNEY” Artist: Germán Jaramillo-McKenzie, Regina, Saskatchewan (Size: 360 sq. ft.) Catholic Education has been prominent in Stony Plain since 1982. Stony Plain’s first church was originally built then moved to its current location. After many renovations, Father Willie O’Farrell helped to start the very first Catholic School in this church basement. John Paul II School has undergone many expansions and changes to its building but the heart of the Crusader Family remains unchanged after 25 years and continues to beat strong. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
DriveThru.jpg Drive Thru Time MURAL – “DRIVE THRU TIME” Artist: James Mckay, Carvel, Alberta (Size: 240 sq. ft.) Drive-through restaurants have been a common appearance in any town, including Stony Plain, where ice cream floats and old Model Ts played a big role in the lives of the local population. The mural depicts business men Decker Kulak and Val Kotch in front of their D & V store on Main Street, as well as Viktor Hochdorfer as a young man in the ice cream parlour; he was the famous shoemaker without telephone and cash register who operated Bud’s Men’s Wear and Shoe Repair for 50 years after Bud F, retiring in 2007. Well-known residents Garnie and Ruth Yost are featured, as is Bud’s old car, while McDonald’s manager’s very own oldie is displayed “live”. Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
earlytrade.jpg Early Trade and Commerce EARLY TRADE & COMMERCE Jeanine Brod - Leduc, AB - (800 sq. ft.) The CIBC has been a focal point for Trade and Commerce in Stony Plain for over 100 years. CIBC began serving clients out of a tent in 1906. Over time, the needs of customers grew from fur and gold exchange to financial advice, convenience and service. This mural depicts the evolution of banking in our community and highlights some of the more prominent facts. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
EvolutionElectricity.jpg Evolution of Electricity MURAL – “EVOLUTION OF ELECTRICITY” Artist: Brian Romagnoli, Vineland, Ontario (Size: 1400 sq.ft.) Featuring the history of TransAlta and its impact on the evolution of electricity and the local region, reflected in images of coal mining days to hydro plants and other renewable resources such as wind power, as well as the Mobile Home Service Department from days gone by, promoting electrical appliances to local women. Key TransAlta employees are featured, as well as a Stoney Nations Chief and honorary Chiefs symbolizing the good relations between First Nations people and Calgary Power (later TransAlta). John Armbruster is depicted as he provided the town of Stony Plain with power from 1925-1929. Other local residents include Annie Wilken, 1st “white” child born west of Fort Edmonton (as daughter to John L. McDonald, who gave Stony Plain its name and dedicated some of his land and home), depicted with her son Otto Wilken, who was known as un-official town historian, committed to local heritage preservation. Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
Golf.jpg Evolution of Junior Golf MURAL – “EVOLUTION OF JUNIOR GOLF” Artist: Germán Jaramillo-McKenzie, Regina, Saskatchewan (Size: 360 sq. ft.) Featuring “Grandpa Walls” who initiated the junior golf program at the Stony Plain Golf course, as well as the Miller triplets and other early Stony plain people in the early 1920s – 40s, when a round of golf cost a whopping 25 cents. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
WI_Mural.jpg FOR HOME & COUNTRY The Stony Plain Women’s Institute For Home and Country - The Stony Plain Women’s Institute Artist: Brian Romagnoli Size: 195 squ.feet This mural depicts the history and personalities of the Women’s Institute, particularly the Stony Plain branch from its inception in 1913 to the year 2000. The A.W.I. Crest is prominent in the centre of the mural, displaying the organization’s motto, For Home and Country . Long-time members are “quilted” into the design, as well as aspects of the community support the Women’s Institute stands for. Elizabeth Rushton, who held office on all levels of this world-wide organization, is featured as well as Cornelia R.Wood, founding and life-time member and Coral Talbot, oldest living member. Julia Malloch, Esme Byers and Barbara Enders represent a three-generation involvement from one family while Elsie Jones and Audrey Kulak are two generations, both active in the Institute. Clare Bluetchen is depicted, who was also Secretary Treasurer of the Community Library Board, which the W.I. strongly supported. From the foundation of the organization by Adelaide Hoodless in Ontario in 1897 to the present, the Women’s Institute has performed community service in a variety of ways. From home-making classes to the war effort, cash and in-kind donations, community projects such as theatre productions for community entertainment and fundraising, the planting of trees to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI in 1937, to practical and educational workshops on a wide variety of topics, the Stony Plain W.I. has contributed to the quality of life in this community. Its dedicated members are proud of their involvement. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
millingonthemain.jpg Milling on Main “MILLING ON MAIN” Artist: Gordon E.Johnston Size: 525 sq.ft. Hidden items: Bandaid on roof of mill. Non-fitting (time period-wise):Margit’s Pink bike Stony Plain Main Street is bustling as farmers come to do business at the Elevators and Feed Mill while their families get their shopping and visiting done. The mural depicts the time period from 1911 to the 1920s on the east side (bottom) while showing life in the 1940s-1950s on the west (top). The Gillespie Elevator stands proud at the N-end of Main Street, loading up railcars; close to it, the original B&K (Brackman and Kerr) Flowermill; they were places of social contact and booming business in those days.Elevator manager Scotty Robertson (far left), Thomas Dale and helper Mr.Blake, are busy with grain sacks while John Lutz, Henry Goertz, Philip Litzenberger and Adolph Shep line up. The Royal Hotel across from the elevator and train station was a prominent, beautiful building, sporting a tower and balcony. Owners Philip and Jacob Miller are seen looking down onto Murd McKinley (in coveralls), auctioneer Flem Sterling(brown) and Demonstration farm manager Gordon Manhard.Ed Thomeus is there with his team of cows, Sam Litzenberger sen., .........on the wagons. The Caution sign draws awareness to the early days of electricity when people had to be warned not to light the fixtures. Empty lots between the Merchants Bank and the hotel remind of the big fire of 1911, which erased the whole block between the hotel and the Miller store.Charles Poemerl and Edward Kuhl sit in the wagon; Emily Enders, Linda Oppertshauser and Tillie Enders are there with their bikes. The Alois Klapper family has come into town with their mules, and Eddie Danhauer (yellow shirt), Tom Shreaves (red) and Bill Barth are pictured playing in the background. August Mohr(brown) and Willie Propp(blue) discuss business on the steps of the Merchants Bank (later: Professional Building), one of the few original buildings in town. Little Dan’s daughters, Alice(pink) and Sadie(yellow) McKinlay, are having a chat; Fred(blue) and Elizabeth Spady and son are pictured in front of the Men’s Clothing store - the Miller brothers had built it adjacent to their General Store and Post Office, which Ethel Laight has just paid a visit to. The original feedmill, later known as Mair Feeds, towers at this end of the street although its true location is at the NW side of Main Street .Owner/operator Lyle Mair is seen at the front of the1960s original truck and John Dazell on it. Later owner Jack Latham is talking to John Litzenberger in the army truck while Ron Trowbridge brings out the sacks, Gordon........catches them coming out of the shoot, and Wilf Goertz is giving directions to the driver of the red truck. Nearby, Murray Kulak is playing marbles with other children. The mill burned down in 1998 andwas rebuilt by Jack in 1999 as The Old Mill. A 1948 copy of the Stony Plain Reporter advertises feed.The Canadian Northern Railway station hovers behind the Feedmill as this was its original location up to1932. Katie Freitag stands waiting for the train. Across the street from the feedmill on the west side, Stony Plain residents remember Bill Kotch’s Poolhall and Barbershop at the corner and Ma Stowe’s Cafe next to it; Bill Kelly and Walter Baron are pictured in front. Reinhold Miskey is passing by Comisarow’s Cash Store on his brand-new tractor, leaving his horses and wagon behind;. Julius Klein - self-appointed watchman in later years - is coming from the walkway on his way to The Reporter. Mr.&Mrs.Willie Juds came into town in their Studebaker and the Carmichael family in their wagon, drawn by Belgian horses; they pass Henry Sinner outside his Barber Shop, located by Henry Miller’s Poolhall. Next to the poolhall is Vivian Kotch’s Hairsalon with upstairs living quarters, where Norma Kulak is about to visit while Elsie Jones gets a haircut; Oscar Oppertshauser is seen in a discussion with Emile Fielhaber in front of Fielhaber Insurance. George Bryan had the Lawyer’s Office at the time with Danhauer Sheet Metal, run by Eddie, next to it. Overhead, well-known pilot, Pat Waddell, is making his rounds. Otto Hoffman’s Laundromat is situated next to Oppertshauser Hardware, where Oscar Oppertshauser is checking a list of goods that Mr.Ducholke is loading into the original 1917 Dodge Bros. truck the Oppertshausers owned. William Albrecht, Vic and Lydia Assinger are customers at the store. It’s “Business as usual” on Stony Plain Main Street!   Click here to show map location
mosaic of the past.jpg Mosaic of the Past MOSAIC OF THE PAST" Artist: Parkland Potters Guild (Size: 77 sq. ft.) This unique clay mural on the side wall of the fire station shows what you might find in a pioneer family's log cabin. Designed in the spring of 1990, each artist was designated to a certain section. Each tile, approximately 5/8" thick, was fired twice and slowly dried to prevent warping. Wonderboard was drilled onto the wall and the clay tiles were then pieced together and cemented onto the board. Cement and gravel was used to frame the mural. After approximately nine months of work, the mural was completed in August of 1991. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
MrGoalie.jpg Mr. Goalie MURAL – “’MR. GOALIE’” Artist: Tag Kimm, Edmonton, Alberta (Size: 850 sq. ft.) The mural depicts Glenn Hall’s career as the famous ice hockey goaltender, along with the uniforms of the three clubs he played for – Detroit, St. Louis and Chicago, and some of the trophies he earned during his 20 years of goaltending, such as the Stanley Cup and the Vezina Trophy for best goalie (awarded 3x). (The Conn Smythe trophy for most valuable player in the Stanley Cup Play-offs, and the Calder Memorial Trophy for outstanding rookie mean a lot to him but are not shown on the mural). Glenn Hall was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975 as well as the Alberta and the Canada Sports Hall of Fame. He was voted to 11 All-Star games and holds the record for the most (7) First Team All-Star selections; Glenn Hall can boast 407 wins and 84 shut-outs during his career, as well as being the first to make effective use of the “butterfly style” of goaltending. Glenn Hall is considered by many to be the best goalie to ever play the game. He retired at age 40. The mural also depicts Glenn Hall as the family and community man he was known to be, showing his wife Pauline and 4 children, Pat, Leslie, Tammy and Lindsay. Note: The building with the Mural “The Lady with the Hats”, featuring Mrs. Wood’s life and career was demolished in 2007. The mural is supposed to be re-done some time. Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
pressrelief2.jpg Press Relief MURAL "PRESS RELIEF" Artist: David Ripley, Carvel, Alberta (Size: 132 sq. ft.) This mural depicts a scene in the early days of Stony Plain's first newspaper, the Stony Plain Advertiser. It is possible that the newspaper began as early as 1907, though the earliest copies still existing date back to 1909. Seated in the mural is Mr. W. Worton, the first editor and proprietor of the paper. One can see that the newspaper being printed on the mural is dated 1911. The building shown in the mural is the newspaper office that was built in the early 1920's and used as the Reporter office until 1965. The present Reporter office was then built in its place. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
TheBook.jpg The Book MURAL – “THE BOOK” Artist: James Mackay, Carvel, Alberta (Size: 128 sq. ft.) Imagine… our Library’s history is kept safely in a book. The book opens and, magically, the story comes to life. Important dates, significant buildings and community faces represent the Library through the years. The outdoor painting boasts the traditional lamppost that helps illustrate Stony Plain’s heritage, an old car and a vivid depiction of the technological advancements of books to computers. An innovative component of the painting is the silhouette drawings of children’s faces, captured within bubbles that flow from the book in the painting. This community involvement piece features faces of children who have attended the Library. Other silhouettes portrayed in one of the bubbles is Cornelia Wood, a former Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta who represented the Stony Plain electorate from 1940 to 1955, and a “mystery” person, who was integral to the development of the Stony Plain Public Library. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
murals 001.jpg The First People MURAL "THE FIRST PEOPLE" Artist: John Langeveld, Calgary, Alberta (Size: 1080 sq. ft.) This mural represents the area of Stony Plain before the settlement of Europeans. The land which is now Alberta has been inhabited by the native Indian for at least 10,000 years. The camp of the Stoney Indians was situated west of Fort Edmonton, hence the name "Stoney Plains". Respect of life is communicated through color: red power, green Mother Earth, white purity, yellow sun, blue sky, and black death. The message "Welcome to Stony Plain" is written and signed (pictographs) in the Cree language. The Sacred Bald Eagle flies high above the camp giving strength and freedom to its people. Wildlife was a sustaining resource for the Native people, providing habitations, food, clothing, and many other varieties of material objects for the Indian. Peace and harmony was "The First People's" way of life. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
TownontheMove.jpg Town on the Move MURAL – “TOWN ON THE MOVE” Artist: Stan Phelps & the Community (Size: 192 sq. ft.) A mosaic of 100 tiles, painted individually by local residents, commemorates the Centennial of Stony Plain. The mural forms an image that depicts the move of the Town in the winter of 1905/1906 by teams of horses, using a corduroy system. The Oppertshauser Store, Miller Bros. Store / Post Office, and Blacksmith Shop were relocated from the original town site a few miles south, to its current location where the railroad came through. Personalities significant to this historic event are featured including: John L. McDonald (far left) who foresaw the train coming to Stony Plain and who gave Stony Plain its name and post office; Jacob Schram (far right), first blacksmith, as well as the Miller Brothers (Jacob Miller in front) and Henry Oppertshauser (facing back). Note the overarching image (denoted by a yellow line): An outline of the teams of horses pulling the Miller General Store. Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours  
WinterReflection.jpg Winter Reflection MURAL – “WINTER REFLECTION” Artist: James Mackay, Carvel, Alberta (Size: 128 sq. ft.) Skating on the (Dog Rump) pond has been a local pastime for decades. Featured within this artwork are skaters from different eras. The old Stony Plain railway station looks over the pond, and the community’s first hotel, school and grain elevator are pictured in the background. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking  
prideinagri.jpg Pride in Agriculture “PRIDE IN AGRICULTURE” Artist: Romolo Fantini Size: 380 sq.ft The Stony Plain District takes pride in its heritage and history of outstanding personalities and accomplishments in the field of agriculture and horticulture. The Stony Plain Demonstration Farm was in operation at this location from 1912-1924 for the purpose of demonstrating good farming techniques to local farmers and students from Agricultural Schools. The original horse and cow barns as well as the Manager’s and Assistant Manager’s House are featured on top; the latter two have been turned into private residences and remain in their original location to this date. Further to the left, Gilbert’s barn from his Sunnybrook farm is depicted as a last reminder of the farm site. The Demonstration Farm endorsed educational programs such as School Fairs and meetings of the Canadian Girls in Training - C.G.I.T., which are depicted on the steps of the Manager’s House in 1917. Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Street View only   Click here to show map location
manyfacesoneheart_GOOD.jpg Many Faces, One Heart "MANY FACES, ONE HEART" Artist: Tim Heimdal, Grande Prairie Alberta (Size: 1612 sq. ft.) This mural portrays the history of the many ethnic cultures that came together to build Stony Plain. The people shown are all pioneers or residents from Stony Plain and area, and represent a number of ethnic backgrounds, as shown by the colourful flags in the background. From left to right: * Andrew Anderson was born in Sweden in 1880 and represents the Scandinavian culture of Stony Plain. He was an excellent artist, and was often called the friendly giant because of his large stature and kind nature. * Alexis Nabamun (Kees kee chee chi) represents the Native Indian culture of the area. He was a Stoney Indian, chief of the Alexis or Wabamun band. He lived to be 111 years old. * Philipine Strassburger is of German descent. The Strassburgers were known for their produce and livestock, and Philipine is shown here with some of their pigs. * Ross Newell came to Stony Plain from Iowa, U.S.A. in 1899 at the age of 54. He was a blind fiddler and was well known for his friendly disposition and his musical talent. * Stephen Harry Kettle came to Canada in 1913 from England. He helped publish one of the early newspapers in Stony Plain. * Otto Wilken was born in this area in 1913, and his mother Annie was the first white child born west of Edmonton. His grandfather John Leod McDonald was also born in Canada and was the first settler of Stony Plain. Although Otto Wilken is of distant Scottish and German descent, it is fair to say that he is "truly Canadian" and represents our Canadian heritage. * Hughie MacKinnon represents the Scottish culture of Stony Plain. He was known for his talent on the bagpipes. * Julia Kulak represents the Ukrainian/Russian culture. She is shown here drawing water from a well on her father Martin Kotcherofsky's homestead. * Jackie Gregorwich is a young girl who belongs to a local Ukrainian dancing group. She represents the Ukrainian culture, as well as the "pioneers of tomorrow". (Artist's note: Jackie also represents the group of Ukrainian dancers found on page 51 of the book Hills of Hope.) * Wong York was the first Chinese person in Stony Plain. He operated a laundry, rooming house, and cafe on mainstreet in the early 1900's. Eva Armbruster was born in 1940 in Galizien, Austria, daughter of Friederich and Julie Armbruster. She represents the Austro Hungarian culture of the area. * Henry Oppertshauser Sr is of Austrian German origin and was a prominent pioneer businessman of the area. He operated Oppertshauser and Sons Hardware Store on the old Stony Plain ,f 4Ntownsite, which he later moved to the present townsite. He also built the Oppertshauser House in 1910, now located beside the Multicultural Heritage Centre. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
earlysppostal.jpg Early Stony Plain Postal Service MURAL "EARLY STONEY PLAIN POSTAL SERVICE" Artist: Terry Gregoraschuck, Calgary, Alberta (Size: 504 sq. ft.) This mural shows a series of stamps depicting the first people involved in Stony Plain's early postal service and is painted on the present Stony Plain Post Office. On the far left is John L. McDonald, the first settler in this area who applied for postmastership and the name Stoney Plain in 1892. After some initial discrepancy over the name, he was finally given permission to operate a post office called Stoney Plain. He ran this post office from his farmhouse shown on the stamp on the old Stony Plain townsite. The next stamp shows George Sutherland who was the first mail carrier for the new post office. His job involved regularly travelling by horse and wagon to Edmonton to collect the mail. The third stamp shows Dr. Henry Schwarz who was the second owner of the first general store on the old Stony Plain townsite. He moved the post office from J.L. McDonald's farmhouse into his store where he ran it until about 1905. He then moved to Inga where he operated a store and post office (on NW 35 51 1 W5), the building shown on the stamp. The next stamp portrays Jacob Miller's store and post office. He bought this store from Dr. Schwarz and moved it to the new townsite in 1906 when the railway arrived. At that time he operated the post office from his brother Philip's homestead, which was later operated in town by J.H. Foerster. The post office was relocated into this building in 1927 until 1973. Beside this stamp is Jacob Miller's portrait. Further on the tour you will see a mural of him and his store/post office painted on the original building. To the right is a stamp portraying J.H. Foerster and his post office. He operated the post office in the new Stony Plain townsite from 1907 to 1927, after moving operations from Philip Miller's homestead. In 1927 it was moved into Jacob Miller's store. The final stamp is of Mike Zucht and his mail wagon. In 1938 he was contracted to deliver the mail on R.R.1, Stony Plain, which was a 42 mile round trip he completed twice a week. This was a long trip with horses, but he completed it rain or shine. In the 1950's he was able to acquire a car which made the job much easier! Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
thecountrydoctor.jpg The Country Doctor MURAL "THE COUNTRY DOCTOR" Artist: Tag Kim, Edmonton, Alberta (Size: 360 sq. ft.) This mural introduces you to Dr. and Mrs. Oatway (centre) and his assistant, Nurse Deans (insert), who were responsible for the safe delivery of over 150 babies in the area. Dr. Richard Macrae Oatway was born in Ontario in 1877 and grew up on a farm in Manitoba. After graduating in medicine from the University of Manitoba, Dr. Oatway travelled westward as a railroad doctor during the building of the Canadian National Railway. In 1908 he and his wife Grace (nee Gillrie), settled in Stony Plain and raised three children. The Oatway house (top right) was located immediately north of the existing train tracks and was converted to the Stony Plain Health Unit in 1953. The new Health Unit is built on the original site. The doctor's office was located above the General Store on the east side of Main Street. However, "housecalls" were necessary and Dr. Oatway travelled by horse and buggy or, when the conditions allowed, his beloved Model T. Ford. He was also known to hop onto a train, day or night, or use a hand car to pump his way to his destination. The practice of medicine on the prairies was difficult and Dr. Oatway gained the community's respect for his faithful and dedicated service. Dr. Oatway practiced medicine in this area for 45 years. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
goodsinkind.jpg Goods in Kind MURAL "GOODS IN KIND” Artist: Windi Scott, Stony Plain, Alberta (Size: 114 sq. ft.) This mural depicts a day in the life of a pioneer lawyer. The man with the pipe is F.W. Lundy, Stony Plain's first lawyer from the early 1900's. He was also Stony Plain's first Secretary Treasurer (1909 1929) and first elected M.L.A. (1917 1921). He is shown here in his law office often pioneer lawyers and other early businessmen were paid in goods rather than money for their services. This mural shows a pioneer family paying Lundy with eggs, honey, cream, milk, and bread. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
HPIM0988.JPG The Connection MURAL "THE CONNECTION (1906 1963)" Artist: Windi Scott, Stony Plain, Alberta (Size: 128 sq. ft.) This mural depicts the early telephone service in Stony Plain. In 1906, Alberta Government Telephones was established and a telephone office was installed in Stony Plain shortly after. Ottillia (Tilly) Zucht, (at the switchboard) was 13 years of age when she began as a telephone operator. The exchange was then on the west side of Main Street. Ida Smith was chief operator from 1923 to 1943 and is seen with her daughter Charlotte outside the telephone exchange in 1935. The office was then located on the east side of Main Street One of the most recalled memories from these early years of the telephone was "rubber necking". All telephone lines were connected together creating a "party line" an entertaining opportunity to eavesdrop on neighbors' phone calls. In August, 1963, Stony Plain became part of the Edmonton exchange, and no longer required a local operator. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
strongarmoflaw.jpg Strong Arm of the Law MURAL THE STRONG ARM OF THE LAW Artist: Doug Driediger, Calgary, Alberta (Size: 794 sq. ft.) This mural depicts Israel Umbach chaining the Canadian Northern Railway locomotive to the tracks in 1907. Israel Umbach was Stony Plain's first sheriff, overseer, and tax collector, and would occasionally come across those who were slow to pay their taxes. However, this time it was the Canadian Northern Railway Company who wasn't paying up. Umbach decided to chain the locomotive to the tracks next time it stopped in town, to force the company to pay their taxes. He is shown here with the chain and padlock that he used which he purchased from the Oppertshauser and Sons Hardware Store. Needless to say, the Canadian Northern Railway Company promptly paid their overdue taxes and Umbach released the train. The mural also portrays an early train station and some of the railway employees. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
generalstore.jpg The General Store MURAL THE GENERAL STORE Artist: David More, Red Deer, Alberta (Size: 1452 sq. ft.) This mural shows the early days of the Miller Store and Post Office. Jacob Miller's portrait stands out on the left central side of the mural. He was Stony Plain's second Mayor (1909 to 1912) as well as one of the first postmasters. Beside his portrait on the left is the post office front as it looked in 1928. Leaning on the doorway is Johnny Miller, Jacob's nephew (son of Henry), who became postmaster in 1927. Beside him is his brother Walter, who was assistant postmaster. On the steps are their brothers, the famous Henry Miller triplets, Albert, Edward, and George. The right side of the mural shows the interior of the store with Jacob Miller and his employee Louis Kowenski. The couple on the top right are Johnny Miller and his wife, Lucille. She served as postmistress after his death in 1964. Johnny Miller is also portrayed here with his car, one of the first in Stony Plain. He would drive to the train station to pick up the mail that came on the trains from Edmonton. The lady standing at the bottom of the mural is Barbara Dreitza, a former employee of the post office, who lived in this building for many years. It is interesting to note that the cash system of the store consisted of a number of pulleys. The clerks would pulley the money up to the accountant on the top floor who would make the change and pulley the money back down again! Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
lifeandtimesbyers.jpg The Life and Times of Murray & Esme Byers THE LIFE AND TIMES OF MURRAY & ESME BYERS Artist: Bill Dixon Size: 190 squ.feet Murray Byers operated Byers Drugs, a hub of community activity in Stony Plain, from 1939 -1969. The mural depicts the interior of the drugstore, displaying the variety of items it carried. Note the veterinarian supplies, pocket books, stationary as well as a soda fountain. Word has it that the best shakes in town were prepared by good looking soda jerk, Mel Scheideman, working in the back. Murray Byers is pictured on the phone book as the first president of the Chamber of Commerce. His name also appears on the cover of the newspaper, announcing him as the new Mayor of Stony Plain. In pictureframes along the walls, the community involvement of Murray and Esme Byers is depicted through different service club logos and snapshots commemorating Murray’s manifold contributions to the Stony Plain community. Murray also had a soft spot for children and animals, illustrated by the live bunnies he would give away at Easter, and the story he published of a “Vagabond Beagle”. The drugstore was the only place in town to purchase fresh flowers. Esme is holding an order while Murray himself stands by the cash register. Bob Enders waits by the counter while his future wife, Barb Byers is waiting to be served her soda by long-time employee, Margaret Enders; Bob and Barb Enders’ son and daughter, Gordon and Margaret, are depicted by the bunnies along with Lorraine Stecyk and other children Byers Drugs was a meeting place whose heritage continues to be valued in town. Murray was the fourth pharmacist to operate in Stony Plain. Originally, Dr.R.M.Oatway ran the drugstore from a building located on the west side of main street further down from today’s Value Drug Store. This was sold to Crowe and later to J F Clarke, Stony Plain’s 3rd druggist. In 1927, Jacob Miller built a second general store across the street, approximately where the Bakery is located today. Clarke operated the Drugstore there until 1939, when Murray Byers took over and kept the store until 1969. From 1969 - 1999, Doug Cowan owned and operated the store. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
morninglight.jpg Morning Light MURAL "MORNING LIGHT" Artist: Stan Phelps, Calgary, Alberta (Size: 312 sq. ft.) This mural portrays a morning at Jacob Schram's blacksmith shop, located where the Elk's Hall now stands. He operated a blacksmith shop on the old townsite in the late 1800's and moved his business to the present townsite in 1906. He was blacksmith here from 1906 to 1915, and is shown here (on the left) with a helper. The mural depicts the view from the blacksmith shop in the early 1900's. One can see the corner hardware store and the steps of the wooden Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce building. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
makingafriend.jpg Making a Friend "MAKING A FRIEND" Artist: Windi Scott, Stony Plain, Alberta (Size: 39 sq. ft) This mural depicts one of Stony Plain's first livery barns. A livery barn was the place where horses would be watered, fed and taken care of. One could also make a new friend! Today's version of a livery barn would be a garage or automotive shop. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location
20yearsofriendship.jpg 20 Years of Friendship 20 YEARS OF FRIENDSHIP James Mackay, Carvel, AB 130 sq. ft. In honour of 20 years of friendship, this mural is dedicated to the people of Stony Plain and Shikaoi, Hokkaido, Japan. Former Mayor Donna Cowan and Mayor Yoshida have been stewards of the twinning program in partnership with the public and separate school districts. Many student and adult delegations have travelled between Shikaoi and Stony Plain over the past 20 years. This mural highlights various aspects of Shikaoi's culture and lifestyle. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Self Guided Tours; Street View only   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Groupe Stony Plain Heritage
Ajouter par Robin Lillywhite
Date ajouter September 16, 2013
Commentaires sur {title}
Aucunes inscriptions concordantes n'ont été trouvées
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Titre
Relation
User   Robin Lillywhite The user submitted this content.