Histoires de Batiment
Nom d'utilisateur
Mot de passe
English

Oublié votre mot de passe? | Enregistrez-vous maintenant
Titre Doors Open Waterloo 2013
Points d'intérêt
Points d'intérêt
Titre
Sort ascending by TitreSort descending by Titre
Description
Caractéristiques
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.47.00 PM.png 1820 School Loghouse Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1820. The schoolhouse, recently designated, has only been in Waterloo Park since 1894. Where did it come from, and why did it come to the park? Discover how its story connects to the Mennonites, the Underground Railroad and two local cities. At 11 a.m., come for an illustrated talk – A Biography of the 1820 Log Schoolhouse (with seating for 40). Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.logschoolhouse.blogspot.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.47.12 PM.png Ayr Financial Services (former Ayr Carnegie Library) Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1911. Ayr was the smallest Ontario town awarded a Carnegie grant to build a public library. The library operated here until 2004. In 2012, Ayr Financial Services completed a creative interior renovation, preserving many heritage features – including the façade, interior classical archways, pressed-tin ceilings and stained glass. Come explore this excellent adaptive reuse project. Partially Accessible; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.47.21 PM.png Black Horse Corners Heritage Outbuildings Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1835-94; renovation 1994. The long-vanished hamlet of Black Horse Corners revolved around the Black Horse Inn. Three heritage outbuildings from that era still exist at Shadynook Farms, adjacent to the former site of the crossroads village – the barn, smokehouse and a stone-built former cheese factory from 1835 (designated in 1991 and renovated in 1994). Partially Accessible; Site has its own Parking http://www.home.golden.net/~shadynook/blackhorsecorner.html Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.47.44 PM.png Breithupt Block, The Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1903; 1908-55 additions; 2011-13 renovation. The oldest buildings of The Breithaupt Block – an adaptive reuse of industrial buildings into brick-and-beam office space, now leasing – were built as rubber footwear factories. Manufacturing continued here until 2008. Over 1,200 tonnes of machinery have been removed and over 12,000 square metres (130,000 square feet) of space renovated, including new windows, electrical and mechanical systems, washrooms, elevators and courtyards. Fully Accessible; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.perimeterdevelopment.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.47.57 PM.png Brookside Equestrian Centre Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1995. The barn and arena complex of this equestrian centre houses 32 horses, an indoor arena, wash stalls, tackroom, lounge and office. Enjoy views of the large outdoor riding rings and beautiful, rolling farmland. Brookside has offered riding lessons, day camps, boarding and show services for 18 years. Come meet the horses and enjoy a visit to the country! Kid-Friendly; Partially Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.brooksideequestriancentre.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.08 PM.png Brubacher House Museum Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1850; 1970s renovation. This Mennonite fieldstone farmhouse is a historical gem couched within the modern the University of Waterloo’s Research + Technology Park. Enjoy guided tours of the Brubacher family’s multi-level home and furnishings, led by knowledgeable interpreters. A 13-minute DVD presentation will conclude the tour. Come experience what life was like when this area of Waterloo was farmland! Guided Tours; Partially Accessible; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.16 PM.png Button Factory, The Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1886. This former factory, a successful adaptive reuse project, retains many original architectural features, including its numerous windows, which create a bright interior. Richard Roschman’s button manufacturing company was in operation here until 1944. The building has been home to the Waterloo Community Arts Centre since 1993. Come and enjoy a free Family Mapping Workshop between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Kid-Friendly; Partially Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.buttonfactoryarts.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.25 PM.png CEI Studio A collaboration between Creative Enterprise Initiative and land developers, the CEI Studio is a former liquor store (slated for redevelopment) that has been re-purposed into studios, event spaces, a community art gallery and workshop space. Painters, photographers, performers, pottery teachers and arts website developers welcome Doors Open visitors to enjoy works in progress, works on display and works for sale. Fully Accessible; Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.CreativeEnterprise.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.39 PM.png Centre in the Square, The Open: 10-3pm. Year built: 1980. The Centre, one of Canada’s largest performing arts venues, owes its exemplary acoustics to the work of acoustical engineer Russell Johnson. Local architect Carl Rieder provided the building’s bold design. Backstage tours from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. allow you to experience the stage from a performer’s perspective. Auditorium and lobby tours from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Guided Tours; Partially Accessible; Self Guided Tours http://www.centre-square.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.49 PM.png Clay and Glass, The Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1992-93. Tour this premier exhibition space dedicated to exhibiting, interpreting and collecting contemporary clay, glass and enamel artwork. Education programs offer art classes for children and youth, workshops, tours and lectures, making The Clay and Glass a dynamic place for learning and exploring. The Gallery Shop showcases the work of artists from across Canada. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.theclayandglass.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.48.59 PM.png Col. J.A. McIntosh, DSO, ED Armoury Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1914. Home of the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada, the interior of this remarkable recognized federal heritage building is among the best-preserved in the region. It includes original ceiling beams, panelling, mouldings, baseboards, picture rails, doors, leaded-glass transoms, built-in cabinetry, flooring and a large drill hall. Its museum preserves the strong military heritage of Waterloo Region with regimental displays. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Provincial Plaque; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.09 PM.png Conestoga Engineering and Information Technology Campus Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2011. Bright, open and inviting, Conestoga’s new campus features large public spaces, innovative technology labs and a fully functional food processing plant. Large windows provide plenty of natural light, minimizing fluorescent lighting. Natural materials, such as stone and wood, are given a clean, modern treatment. Guided tours will include the food processing plant, the architecture and design labs, and more. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.conestogac.on.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.18 PM.png Detweiler Meetinghouse Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1855. Detweiler Meetinghouse, Ontario’s only surviving stone Mennonite meetinghouse, has been carefully restored to its 1855 appearance, including its Georgian hand-blown glass windows and original pine floors. Lively acoustics make it attractive as a live performance venue; it is also available for milestone occasions. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.detweilermeetinghouse.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.29 PM.png Dickson Public School Open: 10-4pm. Year built: 1876. Dickson, one of the oldest schools in Waterloo Region, will be closing in 2014. This designated building contains eight classrooms and a full basement. Six large and beautiful windows in each classroom provide lots of natural light. The symmetrical façade of neatly coursed cut limestone is topped by a detailed wood cornice. The distinctive bell tower was added in 1887. Kid-Friendly; Partially Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://dks.wrdsb.on.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.39 PM.png First Mennonite Church - Primera Iglesia Menonita Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1902; 1927; 1950; 1985. Participate in the 200th anniversary celebrations of Waterloo County's first church building and learn about its evolution from an 1813 log meeting house to the current simple sanctuary typical of early-1900s Mennonite churches. Guided tours of the area’s oldest cemetery will also be offered, including the graves of early non-native settlers. Hymn sing from 2 to 3 p.m. Light refreshments. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Provincial Plaque; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.FirstMennoniteKitchener.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.48 PM.png Former Rumpel Felt Factory Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1913; 1942; 1962; 1968. From 1875 to 2008 – spanning most of Kitchener’s downtown industrial history – four generations of the Rumpel family operated felt factories on this block. Take this rare opportunity to walk the factory floors and see the second-floor office. Visit with David Rumpel who will describe the factory in its heyday. And watch a video of the Rumpel plant at work. Site has its own Parking   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.49.58 PM.png Galt Arena Gardens Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1922. This building – the oldest continually operating indoor hockey arena in existence – features an Edwardian-style, art deco-influenced façade of limestone and brick. Inside, see the original British Columbia red fir ceiling spanning the rink. Artifacts from the arena’s past – seats, signs and ice flooding equipment – are on display. Explore the place on your own or take a guided tour. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Gore Mutual Building.JPG Gore Mutual Insurance Company Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1935; 1955; 1974. The 1935 head office of the historic Gore Mutual Insurance Company features impressive exterior fieldstone walls and a beautiful interior finished in various types of marble and locally supplied granite. Stunning features of marble and fieldstone also grace the 1955 addition to the original office. Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.goremutual.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.50.17 PM.png Green Gables Guest House Open: 10-5pm. Year built: c. 1910. Marble fireplaces, three-metre (10-foot) beamed ceilings, cherry panelling, a beautiful broad staircase, inlaid hardwood floors, original silk damask wall panels and rich woodwork await visitors to this Tudor revival-style house. Distinctive for its prominent stone chimneys and steep gabled roof, it is a recipient of the Mike Wagner Heritage Award for the preservation of heritage in Kitchener. Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking http://www.greengablesguesthouse.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.50.26 PM.png Greenfield Village Heritage Walking Tour Guided Tours at 10am, 2pm, and 4pm. Greenfield Village, soon to be a heritage conservation district, is a relatively intact 19th-century mill village in a park-like setting. See the original buildings of the Goldie Milling Company, including the six-storey mill, the manor house, workers’ row cottages, and the miller’s house. And hike to the Nith River to see remnants of the milling operation. Guided tours only. Guided Tours; Provincial Plaque; Site has its own Parking   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.50.33 PM.png Highland Baptist Church Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1958. This exemplary mid-20th-century modernist building, virtually unchanged from its original design, has strong vertical elements set against its horizontal massing and entry walkway canopy. The north wall is floor-to-ceiling glass and stained glass, providing an open feeling interior. In the south wall, a beautiful, irregular arrangement of small, “punched” stained-glass windows dapple the sanctuary with coloured light. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.highlandbaptist.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.50.42 PM.png Islamic Centre of Cambridge, The Open: 10-4pm. Year built: 1992; 2004. Everyone is welcome to the Centre, a good example of Islamic architecture in a modern style. The building, with its majestic dome and minaret, houses both a mosque and a school. Visit the beautiful, spacious and bright multi-level prayer hall. Interactive guided tours will be offered throughout the day, along with family activities, gifts, tasty snacks and Islamic movies. Guided Tours; Partially Accessible; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.iccambridge.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.50.50 PM.png Kitchener-Waterloo Gurdwara (Golden Triangle Sikh Association) Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1983; 2005, 2011 additions. The land for this Gurdwara (Sikh temple) was purchased in 1978 – making it the first time in Ontario that land was purchased specifically for this purpose. The original temple opened in 1983, with a major addition/renovation in 2005. Another addition is in progress. For Doors Open, there will be guided tours through the facility, and snacks will be served. Guided Tours; Partially Accessible; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.51.02 PM.png Laepple Organic Farm Open: 10-5pm. Year built: Established 1848. Established in 1848, this is still a traditional family farm producing natural foods: grass-fed beef, grains, potatoes, eggs and vegetables. The original bank barn and farmhouse are still in use. Tour the farm, and take hay wagon field tours at 11 a.m., 1 or 3 p.m. to learn about how food has been grown here for generations. Site has its own Parking http://www.laeppleorganic.ca Click here to show map location
MC landscape.JPG McDougall Cottage Open: 10-5pm. Year built: c. 1858. McDougall Cottage, in the historical Cambridge factory district, is a vernacular matched grey granite and local limestone cottage with spectacular hand-painted friezes, trompe l’œil ceilings and a charming garden. An interpretive centre for Scottish culture, McDougall Cottage presents lectures and workshops, kitchen ceilidhs, Tartan Teas, Scotch tastings and more. Paintings of the Grand River will also be on show. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Partially Accessible; Washrooms http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/mcd Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.51.20 PM.png Middleton Water Pumping Station Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1890-91. Take a rare opportunity to see inside this landmark pumping station. The pumphouse office and pump room have changed little in 100 years, with original ceilings, trim, walls and other fixtures and artifacts. One pump still draws water; decommissioned pumps are in place and carefully preserved. Additional facilities have increased station capacity to 21.6 million litres (5.7 million gallons) daily. Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.51.39 PM.png Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre, The Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2012. This remarkable building at the University of Waterloo is a state-of-the-art research centre and an architectural marvel. Shared by the Institute for Quantum Computing and the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology, the centre is the ideal environment for researchers working to unlock the amazing power of quantum information science and the boundless potential of nanotechnology. Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://uwaterloo.ca/mike-ophelia-lazaridis-quantum-nano-centre Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.05 PM.png North House Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2009. Tour this ultra-modern, solar-powered, fully furnished 74-square-metre (800-square-foot) green housing prototype. Designed by students and faculty from three Canadian universities, it placed fourth in the 2009 international Solar Decathlon in Washington, D.C. In its new permanent relocation at rare Charitable Research Reserve, it serves as a living laboratory for research and education. Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.raresites.org Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.14 PM.png OpenText Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2005; 2011. The Waterloo headquarters location of OpenText, a global leader in Enterprise Information Management, doubled in capacity with the addition of a second building in 2011. OpenText’s impressive two towers are connected by a sky bridge. Modern architectural design is coupled with open-concept office layout and modular furniture, creating an environment conducive to innovation at Canada’s largest software company. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.opentext.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.22 PM.png rare ECO Centre Open: 10-5pm. Year built: c. 1840s. The rare ECO Centre’s newly renovated heritage buildings – the unusual, historical limestone Slit Barn and its companion farmhouse (Resource House) – are the hub of rare Charitable Research Reserve’s Every Child Outdoors environmental education programs, a community events venue, and one of rare’s trailheads. Guided hike at the rare ECO Centre trailhead is limited to the first 20 arrivals. Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.raresites.org Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.33 PM.png Robson Carpenter LLP (former Canadian Bank of Commerce) Open: 10-4pm. Year built: c. 1904. One of many Canadian bank buildings designed by the prolific Darling and Pearson, this branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce operated here until 1963. Many original interior features have been preserved, and the third floor is a bright, beautiful adaptive renovation. The building, now housing a law firm, anchors the other historical buildings on Northumberland Street in downtown Ayr. Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.rcllp.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.43 PM.png St. George's Anglican Church Open: 12-5pm. Year built: 1888. One of many Anglican churches designed by Frank Darling, St. George’s features beautiful Victorian architecture, and is home to a thriving church community. The interior includes traditional church furnishings, historical plaques and stained-glass windows (memorials, a roundel and an 1894 five-light rainbow window by Toronto’s McCausland studio). Live music recital from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.stgeorgesnewhamburg.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.53.52 PM.png St. James Wilmot Church and Cemetery Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1854; 1880; 1896. The nave, chancel, porch and bell tower of this church were completed in three stages. St. James features beautiful original stained-glass windows, a simple interior, a pump organ and a peaceful countryside setting. The bell has a lovely ring; visitors can take the opportunity to ring it. Enjoy a recital on the newly restored 1880s pump organ at 3 p.m. Fully Accessible; Site has its own Parking   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.54.00 PM.png St. Mark's Lutheran Church Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1938. With its handsome hammer-beam wood panelled ceiling and locally made stained-glass windows, this church is a showpiece of local craftsmanship. Hear on-the-hour recitals on the Casavant organ by members of the Royal Canadian College of Organists, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. At 1 p.m., enjoy a talk/demonstration: How a Pipe Organ Works. Celebrating the congregation’s 100th anniversary! Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.stmarkskw.org Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.54.09 PM.png Station 2 Studios (former Berlin Fire Station No. 2) Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1913-1914. Enjoy the view from the 23-metre (75-foot) hose-drying tower of this 100-year-old former fire station, now a live/work building. Horses stabled here until the 1920s pulled firefighting equipment that served Kitchener’s factory district. (Some of the factories are participating Doors Open sites.) Along with the tower, the third-floor loft and ground-floor dance studio, art studio and workshop will be open. Partially Accessible; Site has its own Parking http://www.station2studios.ca Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.54.18 PM.png University of Waterloo Student Design Centre (SDC) Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2010. Tour the Centre where over 20 engineering student teams design and build projects ranging from alternative-fuels vehicles to aquaponic farming technologies. The SDC’s 10 work bays, machine shop, test labs, meeting rooms and 3D printing facility encourage collaboration and shared expertise. The SDC occupies two floors of the striking Engineering 5 building, with its prismatic exterior and six-storey atrium. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://uwaterloo.ca/student-design-centre Click here to show map location
Capture.JPG Walper Hotel, The Open: 10-3:30pm. Year built: 1893; 1925 (fifth floor and Crystal Ballroom). It’s the 120th anniversary of this landmark hotel where Eleanor Roosevelt enjoyed breakfast in the courtyard, and Louis Armstrong played his trumpet on the King Street balcony. Doors Open visitors and hotel guests alike will be treated to a mix of history and modern comfort as they tour the Crystal Ballroom, Barrister’s Lounge, Oak Room, courtyard and guest rooms. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Self Guided Tours; Washrooms http://www.walper.com Click here to show map location
34974_Large[1].jpg Waterloo County Gaol and Governor's House Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1852-53 (gaol); 1878 (Governor's House). Both of these buildings – the oldest Waterloo County structures in existence – were saved from an uncertain fate by community action. The exteriors are designated and the interiors are excellent examples of adaptive reuse. The stone gaol houses provincial courtrooms. The brick Victorian Governor’s House is used for court offices and public meetings. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.54.54 PM.png Waterloo Masjid Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 1984. Everyone is welcome! Waterloo Masjid is a good example of modern Islamic architecture, with a prominent minaret and a bright, beautiful prayer hall under a domed skylight. Enjoy interactive guided tours, an Islamic poster exhibition and Islamic documentary screenings throughout the day, along with free, tasty snacks and gifts. A great site to visit for the whole family. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.waterloomasjid.com Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.55.03 PM.png Waterloo Region Courthouse Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2013. This new courthouse contains 30 courtrooms, and brings together the Ontario and Superior Courts of Justice under one roof. Learn about its function, technology, architecture and custom-built spaces. Building materials and curvilinear interior design elements take the Grand River as inspiration. Note: Visitors are required to pass through an airport-type security checkpoint, so please allow time. Fully Accessible; Self Guided Tours; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.55.17 PM.png Waterloo Region Emergency Services Training and Research Complex, and University of Waterloo Fire Research Lab Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2003. At this 16-hectare (40-acre) site, fire, police and EMS services training, plus ground-breaking fire research are conducted. Specialized structures and training grounds, including a multi-storey burn building and vehicle driver-training track, simulate first-response scenarios. At the University of Waterloo’s fire research facility, fire science is studied using everything from full-scale live fire tests to computer simulations. Fully Accessible; Kid-Friendly; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms   Click here to show map location
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 1.55.28 PM.png Waterloo Regional Police Service, North Division Open: 10-5pm. Year built: 2013. The division is responsible for policing services in Waterloo and part of Kitchener. The building is modelled after police facilities recently built elsewhere in Ontario, but is customized for the Waterloo Regional Police Service and the community. It contains a large, state-of-the-art community room for public group use, and was designed to meet LEED environmental sustainability standards. Fully Accessible; Guided Tours; Site has its own Parking; Washrooms http://www.wrps.on.ca Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Groupe Heritage Resources Centre
Ajouter par Melissa Davies
Date ajouter September 6, 2013
Commentaires sur {title}
Aucunes inscriptions concordantes n'ont été trouvées
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Titre
Relation
User   Melissa Davies The user submitted this content.