Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Princess & Brock Streets - Kingston
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
  27 Princess St. The original part of this imposing commercial building, the west seven windows on Princess St., was built about 1820. It was a combined grocery store and home for the grocer. In 1841, architect George Browne added to it with five windows each side of a rounded corner (one of three buildings with round corners he designed in the city; see #17 below for another one). It then consisted of three stores with housing above. The building was later used as a piano factory and to manufacture vehicles. It was completely gutted by fire in 1908. Only the walls were left. Rebuilt, it became an army barracks during World War II; and from 1959 to 2009, the S&R Department Store.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3981.JPG Pan Chancho Built in 1833, interesting features of this building include the open colonnade that is now filled in with show windows, and above the much-changed first floor, you can see a classical stone building, with large 24-pane windows inside arches. The building first served as a bank and later became the office of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.   Click here to show map location
  68 Princess St. This 1893 brick façade conceals an 1820 stone house. Look up and you will see a high central gable with the 1893 date and an arch with an intricate brick design. William Newlands designed the new façade.   Click here to show map location
  Namaste and Modern Primitive Known as the Rochleau House, it was built in 1808 by François Xavier Rochleau who left his mark ‘F.X.R. 1808’ high up on the fire-break wall next to the passageway facing Princess St. The first floor has been modified greatly over the years.   Click here to show map location
  Novel Idea Now a bookstore, this is an 1842 building, five windows wide on Princess and four deep on Bagot St. It is hammer dressed stone with a projecting stone band. There are stone arches (voussoirs) above the windows.   Click here to show map location
  101-139 Princess St. Most of these buildings were built after an 1851 fire destroyed the block. Note the unity of design above the modernised first floors (the upper storey of 113-117 was destroyed in a 1940 fire). #101 (Tweed & Hickory) was built in 1841-42 as a grocery store. #105 (Chumleigh’s) was built in 1852-53. #111 (Golden Rooster) by 1857 for a shoe-making business. #123-129, built in 1854, originally housed a grocer, a chair maker and a shoe maker. #131-139 was built in 1851 as a hotel with stables for 100 horses and sheds for 35 carriages.   Click here to show map location
  Wayfarer Books This was built as a house by 1840. In 1845 its brick walls stopped a fire that was spreading east from Wellington St. Notice the upper storey double-hung sash windows each with 24 panes and above them the blind arcade of twelve ‘windows’ beneath the cornice.   Click here to show map location
  Vandervoort General Store and Frontenac Jewellers Originally built in 1820 as a coffee house to attract the stagecoach traffic on the York (Toronto) to Montréal route, it had a large enclosed yard for circuses, etc. It has housed a library; a ballroom; a military hospital; a grammar school; a hardware store; and today, a general store with an art gallery and apartments. This is a good example of a solid stone commercial building that has been adapted through the years.   Click here to show map location
  Olivea William Coverdale designed this building in 1856 – one of three similar buildings he designed around what is now called Springer Market Square. The second one was on the corner where you are standing and where an empty 1960s building now stands. The third one was where the Bank of Montreal is now located on the other side of the square. Together, they made the square an imposing commercial centre. The use of brick was a deliberate contrast to the many limestone buildings in Kingston. It is called the ‘Anchor Building’ after the name of an insurance company that was one of the first tenants.   Click here to show map location
  Unique Imports and Designer Baby This 1839 twostorey stone building was first built with a frame façade. A new façade and third storey were added in 1912 to better blend with the adjacent bank. There are two recessed entrances with show windows. The central entrance has a semi-circular arched transom.   Click here to show map location
  Accent the Details, As the Plot Thickens These are amongst the oldest buildings downtown. They were built as a frame house sometime between 1825 and 1828. The street level of the house was later divided in two with housing above and given a brick façade. Notice the faucet above the door of#66. There were tinsmithing, steam fitting and plumbing shops here for over 150 years. This building has been restored by the Frontenac Heritage Foundation.   Click here to show map location
  Hardy Har Har, Oderin Kitchen Supplies and Cooke’s Fine Foods Despite appearances, this is a single building that was deliberately built in two sections about 1865. Notice the second floor windows. #55 has a carriageway (square-headed at the front, arched at the rear) and 24-paned windows. It has 2½ small storeys with small upper windows. #57-61 is two full storeys high and has large windows. Over#61’s doorway, you will see the stained-glass sign bearing the name “Henderson”, the brothers who owned the “Italian Warehouse” here before 1924. Today it is still a grocery store with a Victorian atmosphere.   Click here to show map location
  Trugs, Chien Noir 65-69 Brock St. was designed by William Newlands in 1885 and built of brick and stone. There is a recessed entrance at each end and a carriageway in the middle. The higher you look, the more decoration there is in the brickwork. There was originally a plumbing supplies business here.   Click here to show map location
  Atomica 71 Brock St. is another 1885 Newlands building. Note the round-headed windows and the decorative brickwork.   Click here to show map location
  Sacred Source and Cunningham & Poupore Built of brick in 1885, this building has been occupied by tailors, dressmakers and clothing stores. It has irregular windows and an off-centre raised parapet to emphasize the main part of the building. Notice the abundance of elaborate decoration, especially in the brickwork.   Click here to show map location
  Birds ’N Paws This 1882 building replaced an earlier one where the Daily British Whig (now The Kingston Whig-Standard) had its offices. The “Whig” is Canada’s oldest continuously published daily newspaper (1834). Notice the large second storey window with keystone and the semi-circular arched windows on the third floor.   Click here to show map location
  Scotiabank George Browne designed this 1842 building as a series of arches. It is one of three he built in Kingston with a round corner (see #1 above for another). In 1972 architect Wilfred Sorenson restored the building which extends for 13 windows north on Wellington St. The narrow attic windows appear to be original.   Click here to show map location
  Queen's Inn The hotel was built in 1840-42 as three separate buildings (the fire walls protruding through the roof show the divisions). The eastern (your right) one has its windows and roof out of line with the others. A cornice with dentils (teeth) runs the length of the first storey and unites the three buildings. Behind you, in the small triangle of land between Brock and Clarence Streets, is a cast iron horse-watering trough. It is a reminder of times before the automobile.   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group Heritage Resources Centre
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added May 18, 2012
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.