Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Architects John and Joseph Power - Kingston
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
IMG_3613.JPG 157 King St. E. Joseph Power, built in 1882. This large brick Victorian mansion, built for Dr. Edward Horsey (second son of the architect Edward Horsey), is an excellent example of the work of Joseph Power. The house was sold to the government in 1887, when the doctor moved to Montréal. It served for many years as a residence for army commanding officers. This is a slightly larger and more elaborate version of 49 King St. E., built three years earlier.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3617.JPG Hotel Belvedere – Joseph Power, built in 1880. This elaborate house had a very stylish plan, scale and decoration. It was built for John Hinds and, after he went bankrupt, it was owned by Dr. Kenneth Neander Fenwick. Note the use of both brick and stone, and the slate mansard roof with dormers.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3620.JPG Hendry House Joseph Power, built in 1886. This high Victorian brick corner house, built for James A. Hendry, was described in the British Whig in 1886 as “probably the handsomest residence in the City this year”. An excellent example of the height of asymmetrical design, variety of roof heights and design details, it sits on an important corner facing City Park and Sir John A. Macdonald’s monument. The terra cotta panels are noteworthy.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3629.JPG 85 King St. E. Power & Son, built in 1877. This Victorian mansion was built by Richard Tossell for Rybert Kent, who was, for 20 years, proprietor of the British American Hotel (at King and Clarence Streets), and a partner in the Canadian Express Company. The three-storey stone house has some of the finest ironwork and carpenter trim work in Kingston. The design details show the best work of Joseph Power and the siting of the building is excellent.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3631.JPG Parkview House John Power, built in 1853. This two-storey stone dwelling is important to the streetscapes of both Emily St. and King St. With its neighbours, it is an interesting study of the cottage orné style popular in the 1850s. The site is part of the Murney property subdivided in the 1840s. This house was built for Robert Gaskin, a ship owner and ship builder. It was sold in 1855 but Gaskin’s granddaughter, Isabella Gaskin Waldron, and her husband bought it in 1909. Gaskin was a British patriot. For instance, two of his vessels were named St. George and British Lion. A cast-iron British lion may have stood on the lawn of this house. It now stands in the park just to the south. The residences at 7-9 Emily St. are part of the original rear wing, coach house and servants’ quarters of the house.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3651.JPG 20-24 Barrie St Joseph Power, built in 1889. The main architectural feature of this red brick terrace is three large projecting angled bays, which rise two storeys to balconies protected by truncated gable roofs. Stone and brick string courses and carved tiles, plus the rectangular transoms in all windows and doors, moderate the vertical thrust of the bays. This three-dwelling block was built for Robert Crawford, owner of fuel yards which had been established in 1875. He occupied No. 24 and rented the two other dwellings.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3654.JPG 72-74 Barrie St Power & Son, built in 1879. This large brick dwelling has a central entrance flanked by large projections, edged with quoins, which rise three storeys to sharply peaked gables with decorative bargeboards. Windows on each storey are set under decorative cornices. The house was built for Richard Thomas Muir Walkem, a barrister, and his wife, Emily Henderson, who had bought the lot in 1875. The building was occupied for a few years around 1903 by the Kingston Ladies College. It was divided into apartments in 1938. The property was sold to Kingston General Hospital in 1974 and is now the site of Hospice Kingston.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3664.JPG Frontenac Country Court House built in 1855, architect: Edward Horsey. Rebuilt under supervision of Power & Son. Early in his career, John Power worked under Edward Horsey. After a fire, the Powers used Horsey’s original plans for the court house’s reconstruction. The Powers’ major addition was an enhancement of its dome. Their work on the court house appears to have gained them a reputation for successful large buildings. He went on, in 1888, to rebuild St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church after it was destroyed by a fire. He also expanded St. George’s Cathedral in 1891 including a large dome, and again after an 1899 fire. The Courthouse fountain was built in 1903 as a memorial to Sir George Kirkpatrick, MP for Frontenac, Speaker.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3680.JPG Hochelaga Inn This is everyone’s idea of a Victorian mansion! Built of red brick, this house has a tower, many gables and a mansard roof. At one time it was owned by the Bank of Montreal as a place for visiting executives to stay. The name “Hochelaga” comes from an Iroquoian village located where the city of Montréal is now. It was later converted to apartments, and became an inn in 1985. Its design includes extensive decorative touches in wood and brick. There are heavy mouldings, many brackets under the eaves, some leaded glass windows, a prominent double chimney on the north side, Corinthian columns and delicate ironwork on the very top of the octagonal tower.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3686.JPG 65 West St Power & Son, built in 1879. This brick corner house, part of a whole block of brick dwellings, was built after Westbourne Terrace (57-63 West St.) was completed. The round corner tower, bay window and central two-storey umbrage are notable aspects of architecture for the period.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3690.JPG Westbourne Terrace Power & Son, built in 1874. This red brick, four-dwelling terrace was built for George M. Wilkinson and three of his eight children. The row of three similar two-storey dwellings with single-storey bay windows is dominated by the fourth end dormer. Westbourne Terrace constitutes the major section of this important streetscape facing City Park.   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group Heritage Resources Centre
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added May 17, 2012
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.