Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title King Street - Kingston
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
1.JPG Gildersleeve House Henry and Sarah Gildersleeve built this neoclassical style stone house in 1825. Henry came from Connecticut after the War of 1812. He had launched the first steamboat on the Great Lakes, the Frontenac, in 1816. The Gildersleeves owned this house until 1909. The original wrought iron hitching posts and stone carriagestep remain in front at the curb.   Click here to show map location
2.JPG 232 King St. E This wooden double house, covered in stucco, may have been built as early as 1812. The Davis family, who owned a drydock at the north end of Wellington St., lived here for many years.   Click here to show map location
3.JPG 224-228 King St. E. 224-228 King St. E. is a handsome two-storey stone double house with a carriage way at each end. It was built in 1843 during the building boom while Kingston was the capital of Canada.   Click here to show map location
  218 King St. E. 218 King St. E. was built as a house in 1833 but was converted to a store by 1850. It was later used as a medical clinic and the large store windows were filled in by the present white woodwork.   Click here to show map location
IMG_3871.JPG Earl Place Built in 1851, this house was likely designed by William Coverdale for Colin Miller. Miller was the son-in-law of Captain Hugh Earl of the Provincial Marine and his wife Anne, a daughter of Molly Brant and Sir William Johnson. At the intersection of Lower Union St. and King St. E., you can see the last coal gas streetlamp in the city. It was put here about 1948.   Click here to show map location
6.JPG 85 King St. E. 85 King St. E. – Power & Son, built in 1877. This Victorian mansion was built by Richard Tossell for Rybert Kent, who was, for 20 years, proprietor of the British American Hotel (at King and Clarence Streets), and a partner in the Canadian Express Company. The three-storey stone house has some of the finest ironwork and carpenter trim work in Kingston. The design details show the best work of Joseph Power and the siting of the building is excellent.   Click here to show map location
7.JPG Hendry House This high Victorian house was designed by Joseph Power. Built in 1886 in Queen Anne style, it has a variety of roof heights and construction materials. The owner, James Hendry, was a wholesale grocer.   Click here to show map location
8.JPG 131-133 King St. E. 131-133 King St. E. was built in 1842-43 to plans by William Coverdale. The owner was Noble Palmer, founder of the Kingston Spectator newspaper. This stone double house served as the temporary residence for Governor General Sir Charles Metcalfe. It was later occupied by the Kingston Seminary for Young Ladies.   Click here to show map location
9.JPG Hotel Belvedere This elaborate house, designed by Joseph Power, was built in 1880. It had a very stylish plan, scale and decoration. It was built for John Hinds and, after he went bankrupt, it was owned by Dr. Kenneth Neander Fenwick. Note the use of both brick and stone, and the slate mansard roof with dormers.   Click here to show map location
10.JPG 157 King St. E. Joseph Power, built in 1882 This large brick Victorian mansion, built for Dr. Edward Horsey (second son of the architect Edward Horsey), is an excellent example of the work of Joseph Power. The house was sold to the government in 1887, when the doctor moved to Montréal. It served for many years as a residence for army commanding officers. This is a slightly larger and more elaborate version of 49 King St. E., built three years earlier.   Click here to show map location
11.JPG Cartwright House The Cartwright family has been very involved in the life of Kingston and of Canada since the arrival of the Loyalists. This neoclassical stone house was built in 1832-33 for Rev. Robert David Cartwright and his bride, Harriet Dobbs of Dublin. The appearance of this house has not changed since it was built. Even the fence in front is original.   Click here to show map location
12.JPG Stuart Cottage 57-59 Gore St. (Stuart Cottage) occupies the corner of King St. E. This wooden house is one of the oldest buildings in Kingston, part of it having been built about 1808.   Click here to show map location
13.JPG 221 King St. E. This impressive house was built in 1834 for John Solomon Cartwright and his wife, Sarah. John was a lawyer, judge, banker and member of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada.   Click here to show map location
14.JPG Frontenac Club This 1845-46 building was designed by architect Edward Crane as a bank in classical revival style. The Bank of Montreal used it until 1906. It then became a men’s club. Since 2000, the club has operated as an inn. There is a plaque on the north wall honouring members of the men’s club who died in the First World War.   Click here to show map location
15.JPG Commercial Bank This Renaissance revival building was designed in 1853 for the Commercial Bank of the Midland District. Later sold to another bank, it was also a Catholic boys’ school, from 1899 to 1914, and then became an office building again. In 1936, Empire Life Insurance bought the building and moved its head office to the premises.   Click here to show map location
16.JPG 261-263 ½ King St. E. 261-263 ½ King St. E. on the corner of King St. E. and Johnson is now part of the Empire Life complex. This red brick building was built in 1904 as three townhouses. The bottom floors were later commercial. It underwent a prize-winning reconstruction after a fire in 2005. Another storey was added at the same time. E.A. Cromarty was the architect for the restoration.   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group Heritage Resources Centre
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added May 17, 2012
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.