Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Tour Title Earl Street - Kingston
Tour Points
Tour Points
Point Title
Sort ascending by Point TitleSort descending by Point Title
Description
Features
  A Stone's Throw B&B This two-storey stone house was built before 1832 by the prominent Cartwright family. It has a high basement on the street side. The main door might have originally been at the rear north), facing the garden, which was reached through gates to the east. A stone wall runs north from the house,dividing the city block on which it sits.   Click here to show map location
  47 Earl St. 47 Earl St. is of frame construction. It was build as a boarding house in 1841. The wood is now hidden by stucco. During the 19th Century most homes in Kingston were small frame buildings like this one.   Click here to show map location
  49-53-55 Earl St. 49 Earl, a single house, was built about 1834. 53-55 were built about 1844. This pair of houses was designed by Thomas Rogers, the first architect to settle in Kingston. 53 was the home of the owner, an engineer, who built 55 to rent out.   Click here to show map location
  LaSalle Cottage 65 Earl St. is a frame cottage sandwiched between two brick houses. Called "LaSalle Cottage", it was built after 1865.   Click here to show map location
  67 Earl St. 67 Earl St. on the corner was built in 1847. The right hand side of the house was probably duplicated on the left before alterations. The windows and balcony in the roof are all additions – the balcony in about 1900 and the two windows in about 1960.   Click here to show map location
  91 Earl St. 91 Earl St., an older tone house, although low in height, has two stories.   Click here to show map location
  Secret Garden B&B This two-storey brick house was built in 1888 for John McKay who had a leather and fur business. There is interesting terra cotta decoration at the second floor level and bargeboards on the west dormer.   Click here to show map location
  Rosemount 46 Sydenham St. is on the right hand corner at Earl St. Called “Rosemount”, it was built in 1849-50 in the style of a Tuscan villa. The first owner was a Mr. Hardy who owned a dry-goods business. It is now an inn and spa. This large home used to have extensive verandahs. Note the balconies, tall chimneys with decorative arches, the finial on the tower and, especially, the restored original cast iron fence.   Click here to show map location
  149-151 Earl St. Built in 1873-74,they have a high basement and three stories, making them taller than the surrounding houses. A fashionable mansard roof covers their top floors. Notice the pattern of the slate shingles and the detailing of the façades.   Click here to show map location
  155 Earl St. 155 Earl St. was built in 1848-49. The family of John Kerr, the manager of the gas works, lived in it from 1854-1904. It was once painted red and then grey. Traces of those colours remain. The porch may be original.   Click here to show map location
  161 Earl St. 161 Earl St. was built for the Fraser family in 1847-48. Mr. Fraser was in the wholesale hardware business. The Frasers had ten children. Various nephews from Scotland also lived with them while attending Queen’s University. William Coverdale designed this house, as well as 155 and 169 Earl St.   Click here to show map location
  169 Earl St. 169 Earl St. was built in 1849-50. A fire destroyed the second storey in 1876 and it was rebuilt. This home was once the Agnes Maule Machar Home for Protestant Women. The front of the house was once painted grey.   Click here to show map location
  Mozart Terrace 158-160-162 Earl St. was built of brick in 1867. They are called the "Mozart Terrace". Note the prominent tower.   Click here to show map location
  148 Earl St. 148 Earl St. was built in 1870 by Thomas Moore, a tailor. This was his home but he also had many rental properties. A window on the left side was converted into a door, which led to the office of Dr. Macgregor who lived here for 40 years.   Click here to show map location
  132-134 Earl St. 132-134 Earl St. was built in 1866. Sir John A. Macdonald’s widowed brother-inlaw lived at 134 for 25 years and Sir John’s unmarried sister Louisa lived here before she died in 1888. The house was one of those owned and rented out by Thomas Moore, who lived at 148 Earl St.   Click here to show map location
  118-120-122 Earl St. 118-120-122 Earl St. was built in 1868. They were built of stone with fashionable brick façades and advertised as “professional gentlemen’s residences”. Attached houses in a row like these three, are called a "terrace".   Click here to show map location
  82 to 96 Earl St. This row of six attached houses actually consists of three pairs of houses.   Click here to show map location
  66-68 Earl St. 66-68 Earl St. on the SE corner of Wellington St. was built in 1842. Note the doors’ curved tops with “Venetian” windows at the top, and the false door recess on the Wellington St. side of 68.   Click here to show map location
  52 Earl St. 52 Earl St. was built in 1886, designed by Joseph Power. Note his “sunburst” design on the façade. This was originally the home and office of Dr. Anglin. Attached on the west side is #56, built in 1905 and possibly also designed by Joseph Power. The doorway and windows all have different shapes.   Click here to show map location

Find currently displayed points on the map

Group Heritage Resources Centre
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added May 17, 2012
Comments on {title}
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.