Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In

Username

Password
Français

Forgot your password? | Become a member
Common Name McDonald Log Cabin
Municipal Address 250 Fletcher Crescent
Photos:

Building Demolished No
Postal Code L9R 1M1
Neighbourhood Riverdale Park
Local Municipality New Tecumseth
Province Ontario
Construction Date c.1855
Type of Recognition Individual Designation of Property
(Municipal)
Project Name New Tecumseth Heritage Register
Building Historic Use Residence
Building Current Use Leisure
Building Form
Massing Units Single Detached Single Detached
Plan Square/Rectangular Square/Rectangular
Storeys Two Two
Main Exterior Wall
Wood Structure Horizontal Log or Plank Horizontal Log or Plank
Main Entrance
Location Centre (facade) Centre (facade)
Property Features
Landscape Trees Trees
Design
Architect N/A
Notes on the Design or Physical Value 's original building materials and history. It is unique in that is is a two storey log house that was built using shanty building methods (lapy keying and horizontal unfinished native white pine logs). The walls have strips of wood placed between the logs and filled with mortar. The mortar was chinked in 1959 when the building was moved. Out of respect for the historic material a low gable cedar shake roof has been maintained.

The log house has a rectangular plan which measures 21' 10" on the east and west facades and 28" on the north and south facades. It has 2 storeys. The main exterior walls are made from horizontal log, local white pine construction. The average log measures in diameter from 1' to 2' and the interior of these logs are finished. It has a medium gable roof supported by rail trusses, hand sawed boards and cedar shingles. Under this gable is a good sized attic which can be accessed through a trap door.

Evidence exists in this building to hypothesise that it was originally a split bedroom floor plan with one main room and 2 smallers bedrooms leading off. Evidence was gathered from ceiling paint colours and the original wall boards now used as floor boards on the second storey. A narrow open step board staircase leads up to the second floor. The second storey room appears to always have been open concept. The attic has a drop door and was probably used for storage. The building was always heated by wood stove and has no evidence to support a hearth at anytime.

The interior of the building is an open floor plan on both storeys with finished horizontal logs. The second floor flooring is a milled lumber tongue and groove with a small bead. Some of these boards are painted wiht original milk paint in a cream colour. The rest have been painted with an oil based grey colour. Paint scraping showed that the original colour of this feature was dark green. The original staircase has been preserved as have the window casings.

The rectangular main (south) facade has four window openings with original 8/8 windows and a central doorway. The central door was replaced in 2000 and slightly widened to allow for accessibility. The trim around this door is all original to the building. The hardware was removed from the original door and placed on the reproduction.

Windows/Openings
The two windows on the north facade first floor are hand crafted reproductions replaced in the mid-1970's. The rest of the windows in the building are original eight over eight double hung windows with pediment shaped wooden architrave or hood and rectangular frame. All of the triangular pediment trim around all the openings is all original and is popular in the Rideau area during the Classic Revival Period (1830-1850). It is called a drip label and is intended to keep rain and snow from splattering on the heads of those entering. All trim on the interior of the windows are plain in design. All trim, frames and sills are original.

The North facade has two window openings on the first floor and a central doorway. This doorway was rebuilt in 1959.

The East facade is the gable end and the only solid wall of horizontal log. The log on this side is in the worst condition and has been patched with cement over the years. No porches exist on this building though evidence, notches in the log, indicate a small lean to on the east side.

The West facade of the building was originally unbroken log. During it'
Context
Notes on Context The South Simcoe Pioneer Museum was established in 1959 with a delegation of representatives of the 5 South Simcoe townships at the time (Adjala[nowiki]-Tosorontio, Tecumseth, Alliston, Essa and Bradford West Gwillimbury). After a location was found at the Alliston Agricultural Hall in Riverdale Park, the committee set out to find artifacts that representated south Simcoe County. One of those objects was a log house donated by the Salada Shirriff Horsey company in Alliston. The building was moved to the site log by log and was the centre piece of the South Simcoe Pioneer Museum'[/nowiki]s opening on July 1st 1960. The building is now the main building used in the interpretation of early settlement for our area.
Historical
Historic Owner Angus and Alexander McDonald
Notes on History of the Property -1855 by Angus and Alexander McDonald on the east 1/2 of Lot 11 Con 5 of Essa Township. Alexander McDonald may have received this land grant for his services as a sailor. If so, the building is a good example of early settlement and immigration patterns. As a result of the Simcoe Declaration, the land grantees were required to construct a two storey permanent residence measuring a minimum of 16 x 20 feet. The McDonald Log Cabin measures 21' 10" x 28' and is constructed entirely of native white pine logs.

Later it was owned by the MacKenzie family and the land was used for potato cash cropping. The MacKenzies are known as one of the founding families of the Potato Industry in this area.

Later this same farm was bought by Salada Shirriff Horsey and the potato farming was continued on the site. Salada Foods established a plant in Alliston and began processing potatos in 1959. Instant potatoes were introduced and produced by this plant. Salada's arrival caused a great change to potato growing. Much property changed hands as potato farmers accumulated vast acres to meet the Salada needs.

In 1959 the McDonald Log Cabin was donated by Salada Shirriff Horsey and moved to Lot 1 Con 1 in the Town of Alliston (now New Tecumseth). It'
Statement of Significance
Date Designated Feb 18, 2002
By-law Number 2002-29
Last updated 2014-02-03 16:20:59.280
Group Public Entries
Added By Katie Huddleston
Date Added January 15, 2014
Last Modified By HRC Admin
Date Last Modified February 3, 2014
Comments on McDonald Log Cabin
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
Type
Title
Relation
User   Katie Huddleston The user submitted this content.