Building Stories Logo
Member Sign In



Forgot your password? | Become a member
Common Name Barnum House
Municipal Address 10568 County Road, Grafton, ON

Building Demolished No
Postal Code K0K 2G0
Local Municipality Grafton
Province Ontario
Construction Date 1819
Type of Recognition National Historic Site, Plaque
Building Historic Use Residence
Building Current Use Leisure
Architect N/A
Notes on the Design or Physical Value 's finest examples of Neo-Classical architecture. The building's composition is formal, with two symmetrical wings flanking a central temple structure. The façade of Barnum House is articulated with pilasters linked by elliptical arches. Its architectural detail is extensive and delicately scaled. Neo-Classical houses were popular in New England in the early 19th century. American experiments with the style were, in turn, inspired by British examples, particularly the work of the leading proponents of Neo-Classical architects Robert and James Adam.

The Trust has conducted an extensive restoration of Barnum House. Original paint colours and wallpaper were reproduced to show Eliakim and Hannah's decor of the 1820-40 period. At the rear of the house, where an original drive shed once stood, a two-
Historic Owner Eliakim Barnum, Harry Prentice, Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, Ontario Heritage Trust
Notes on History of the Property -day Cobourg. By 1819, Barnum owned over 900 acres (364 hectares) of land, a thriving milling business, a tavern and a distillery. His business success made him an influential citizen in early Haldimand Township. A loyal Tory, Barnum was a Justice of the Peace, a founder of St. George's Anglican Church in Grafton and Lieutenant-Colonel of the local militia. He also helped start the first school in the township in 1820 – perhaps because he and his wife Hannah had five children. His oldest son, Smith Barnum, would become the first Warden of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham in 1849.

The house remained in the ownership of the Barnum family until 1917, when it was sold to Harry Prentice. The significance of the house was recognized by the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO), a private organization founded in 1933 to preserve the province's architectural heritage. The ACO acquired Barnum House from the Prentice family in 1940, refurbished it in its early style and opened it to the public as the province'
Last updated 2013-11-26 15:17:32.414
Group ACO Provincial
Added By HRC Admin
Date Added October 7, 2013
Comments on Barnum House
No matching entries were found
Linked Content
Linked Content
User   HRC Admin The user submitted this content.