The Indian Point neighbourhood was established early in the 20th century by Alfred Bringham (A.B.) Coleman, proprietor of the Brant House Hotel and The Country Club. A.B. Coleman was part of the famous Coleman family who were major builders in Burlington collaborating on many commission before Alfred branched out to pursue his own endeavours. His most famous residential home in Burlington is 1375 Ontario Street that he built for himself that is known locally as the Gingerbread House. Coleman is a notable Ontario architect known for his work on the Canadian National Exhibition grounds and the Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto.
Coleman purchased lands west of his original holdings at the Brant House Hotel at Indian Point where he built elaborate cottages for elite visitors beginning in 1909. He also built a six-hole golf course for the use of his wealthy patrons. In 1915, Indian Point was known as Brant Park.
Indian Point was marked by large stone gates at both entrances in 1929. They were constructed by Harry Cuttriss who was a well-known stone mason in Burlington. A.B. Coleman also hired Cuttriss to work on the Brant Inn. The gates are of the Arts and Crafts style with large stones of variable sizes, shapes and colours with raise mortar. These gates are designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.
In 1929 Indian Point was subdivided following the survey of Plan 236, named the 'Indian Point Survey'. This survey marked the change of the cottage area into a residential neighbourhood. After A.B Coleman’s death, his executors sold the Indian Point cottages as private residences and the roads within the point were given to the Town of Burlington. In 1951, the remaining Coleman family members named the former Indian Point cottage roads as Algonquin, Iroquois, Indian and Mohawk Roads as homage to the original inhabitants of the area. These street names remain today, as do the gates to Indian Point, though the land is now part of the City of Burlington.
Click here for the full story
518 Indian Road – One of the last remaining Arts and Crafts style cottages built by A.B. Coleman on Indian Point.