Henry P. Zimmerman – the namesake of the village – ushered the village into a new era. Henry established a house, flour mill, sawmill, store, and a turning factory (Turcotte 1989). He owned businesses that supported the village’s most successful industries: grain milling and lumbering. By 1869, the village was thriving with two sawmills, a grist mill, a shoe shop, a tailor, a carpenter, a blacksmith, a woolen mill, post office and a small school (Turcotte 1989).
The Village of Zimmerman had several churches in its surrounding area – Lowville United, Methodist (now the Trinity Baptist Church), Mountain, Bethesda and Salem. The Salem church located on Walkers Line at No. 2 Sideroad was known for hosting lively revivals in the 1870s that would typically last seven days. During these revivals, the community members would camp overnight on the church grounds and have bonfires and have sing-alongs which could be heard through the valley (Machan 1997:116).
With the influx of automobile use in the early 1900s, the shops of Zimmerman began to decline as many travellers passed by the village to the towns that were experiencing growth such as Nelson and Aldershot. What remains today of the Village of Zimmerman are the memories of church revivals and the memory of the founding family whose name will last well into the future.
Click here for the full story
4249 Appleby Line “Nether Lane” – Built in 1870 for Henry P. Zimmerman. The house is an excellent example of a full gable front featuring a double-level verandah with well-preserved design features. It is one of the last surviving buildings from Village of Zimmerman. The house overlooks the former sites of the saw and grist mill.
4050 Appleby Line – This property was built for James Zimmerman. The house was built using material from the property including bricks made on the property in a kiln and beams harvested from the property.
4372 Appleby Line "Trinity Baptist Church"- Built as the Zimmerman Methodist Church in 1891, Trinity Baptist Church situated east of Mount Nemo on Appleby Line was constructed of locally sourced brick and stone. Notably, the stone foundation of the church was sourced from the Niagara Escarpment. The stone was then brought down the escarpment during the winter by horse drawn sleigh after it was cut to be used in the church construction.